sofia khan
sofia khan, Doctor
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I need a pediatric dermatologist to help me understand my

Hello, I need a pediatric dermatologist to help me understand my daughters hair loss please
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: She got a referral from the GP for the Mental Health Clinic for other ongoing issues and for the Dermatologist for the hair loss. Unfortunately, it’s hard for me to see her hair falling off without doing anything.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I was recently diagnosed whit a form of Alopecia and suddenly after I noticed my daughters hair falling off, even more than mine. She’s apparently under stress after a difficult family period and has had a couple of panic attacks recently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ll wait for the answers thanks

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no worries,

please give me a breif back ground. How old is your daughter, when did this problem start, what kind of mental health issue has she been referred fro?

also what is the type of hair loss that you have noticed, is it more diffused hair loss or patchy hair loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Sofia. She’s 8 and I started to notice the hair loss after I was diagnosed with a form of Alopecia. I noticed this more or less a month ago and since then the hair fall has increased and there’s some new patches and hair thinning all over, I’ll say it’s diffused but there’s also some areas thinner than others. She’s not aware of what’s happening because I’m trying to keep this to myself as possible. She’s been recently referred to the Mental Health team since she had a couple of panic attacks and also, since she’s been under investigation for a long time now regarding tummy and constipation issues and all her blood tests came back normal, the GP thought she might benefit from the Child Development Clinic or Mental Health team but I don’t have more specific information yet. I think the GP said she might be suffering from anxiety and that she might have had a difficult period of stress (she has!) but her hair loss is so noticeable to me every day when trying to comb her hair and when it’s shampoo day that I thought of getting help asap. She has also been referred to the dermatologist but we have to wait. Thanks for your time.

I am sorry to hear about all this. I'll try my best to come up with some answers.

now a few more things. is it possible for you to send me a few pictures of her scalp? it will help me in making a list of possible diagnoses.

also have you ever noticed her playing with her hair, pulling, twisting her hair unconsciously? has she complained of any symptoms such as itching, pain or excessive dandruff on her scalp?

also if you dont mind sharing with me, what have you been told about your hair loss? have you been given a diagnosis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (5SZ3QG1)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (L3QQSG6)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (7ZQL653)

Thank you for sending all these pictures over.

From what I can see is that she has diffuse hair loss and the hair appear very thin and fluffy.

There are a few things in the history that I have to correlate with this presentation with, like mental health issues and maternal hair loss issues as well.

There are certain congenital problems which can present this way such as congenital atrichia and hypotrichosis disorders,loose anagen and short anagen syndrome and hair shaft abnormalities. In order to diagnose that along with history the dermatologists needs to do thorough examination as well such as looking at facial features, dentition, developmental milestones, certain tests such as hair pull and tug tests and looking at the hair shafts under microscope called trichoscopy.

Then there are some acquired causes, which usually come later in life.

Diffuse hair loss due to acquired causes can happen due to telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, androgenetic alopecia, female pattern hair loss, loose anagen syndrome and hair shaft disorders. The answers to these could be found through examination as well.

As far as I can see the scalp, I can’t see any scarring, which is a good thing. Sometimes with mental health issues, diffuse hair loss like telogen effluvium happens but as things improve, it comes back to normal as well.

Carry on with regular healthy diet and normal routine till you see your dermatologist. Do not excessively wash hair to prevent further hair loss, 2 times a week is OK. Keep them loose, do not make tight pony tails/hairstyles. That’s the most you can do till you see the dermatologist.

I hope this gives you some idea about the kind of problems that can happen. And you can discuss these specifically with the dermatologist.

please let me know if you have any further questions in this regard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Sofia,
Many thanks for all your help and consultation and so sorry I haven’t been able to answer before. You sounds like an excellent professional and well trained in the area. What you have just said is reassuring although there’s a bit of anxiety on my side due to uncertainties about her hair fall not stopping yet.
I have just been given an advice as well, from the dermatologist team that our GP referred us to but, it was disappointing as they said they’ll see her in the future and that in the mean time she can use a steroid ointment to see if that improves what appears to be Alopecia Areata. But, I was expecting a bit more investigation before coming to a diagnosis and definitely putting a steroid cream on my daughters scalp without a specific diagnosis and side effects discussed, it’s not reassuring. What are your thoughts? Do you offer private consultations?

I am sorry to hear that the consultation did not meet your expectations.

I am Uk trained specialist but not in Uk at the moment.

I can understand that without getting any definite diagnosis, treatment can be a bit hit and miss. where about in Uk are you located and I can see if I any of my other colleagues can see you.

sofia khan, Doctor
Experience: Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for this Sofia, I am glad that you can understand! I am in London and even if I’ve been browsing some dermatologist online, I would like to take my daughter to a valid specialist with experience on this field and that will be more meticulous when it comes to diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sofia was very helpful, kind and appears to be well trained in the area. She gave me valuable advice and encouragement, I would highly recommend her.

thanks alot for your kind words. I personally do not know many people in London in this field as I have been trained in a different area, however I'll search for some in your area over the weekend and let you know.