GauravMD
GauravMD, Dr
Experience:  MBBS, DCH, DNB (MD), with special interest in Dermatology
239748

My 4 month old son was diagnosed via a video conference with

Customer Question

Hi... My 4 month old son was diagnosed via a video conference with eczema.. He was prescribed Excetra cream... But didn't seem to help to much as it is very itchy and he was scratching like crazy... I called again the GP and they prescribed new creams Aproderm Gel and Balneum Cream for itching... But again not much help and his skin is very dry from it... I know with eczema we need to try different creams to find the best one for him but maybe you can help?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you notice any redness or scaling?
Customer: About a month now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Yes
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  GauravMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Gaurav Gupta, and I am here to help you today. I have more than 20 years of experience in the field of Medicine / Pediatrics. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you may ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. If you are interested in a phone call, then you may click on the request button (it costs extra!)

I would be glad to continue here either way.
Kind regards, ***** ***** MD

Expert:  GauravMD replied 1 year ago.

Given the significant eczema, I believe that we should apply a 1 % hydrocortisone cream for a few days at least,

Most hydrocortisone creams are mild and you can buy them from pharmacies and shops. They're called by brand names such as Dermacort, Dioderm, Boots Bite and Sting Relief Hydrocortisone, Derma Care Hydrocortisone, Hc45, Zenoxone, Pinewood Bites and Stings Relief 1% cream, Lanocort and Mildison Lipocream 1% cream.

Please use this in addition to what the GP has recommended, use it twice daily for 7 days and then once daily for the next 7 days.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. A TIP would be even better! If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are hydrocortisone creams safe for such a small baby?
Expert:  GauravMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes,

We can use them for babies above 1 month age, we use it for diaper rash as well,

I am a pediatrician with 20 years experience :)

For such severe itching the emollient creams will not work alone, in my opinion,

Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD