Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

My friend has a lump and painful lip it's not herpes not B12

My friend has a lump and painful lip it's not herpes not B12 deficiency but can't get to see dermatologist for 6 months apparently any help appreciated
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: It comes and goes but since December Soft
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: As I said it is a friend but don't think anything seems to be very healthy otherwise

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What age and sex is the person?

You mean he/she has a lump on the lip?

Can you send a pic?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Male 49 yes lump on his lip and it's painful sometimes it feels like it is burning he's been putting vaseline on it to soothe it

How long has had the lump?

Is it on the inside or the outside of the lip?

Can you send a pic?

I am an ENT specialist and can help you on this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has been having it appear since December gets worse sometimes than others it sits on the outside on hi lip but it sometimes spreads down under the skin just under his lip line
Can't send a picture at the moment he's not here

This sounds very like herpes.

Has he done tests for herpes?

Why do you say its not herpes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had Tests for herpes doctors said it isn't that suspect lip cancer but can't be tested until the waiting list for 6 months has gone down after lockdown

Well, let me first assure you that it cannot be lip cancer. In case of lip cancer, the bump wouldnt go away by itself, it would remain constantly and get bigger slowly. So this is not a cancer.

Since HSV is ruled out, this is most likely a mucocele.

Mucocels are harmless swellings of salivary glands inside the lips, they can swell up and go down.

They are not of much concern and usually no treatment is required.

If they are big they may require excision, which is a simple office procedure.

For now, apply warm compresses when the bump appears.

Take care - there is no need to worry about this - you can wait safely for your doctors appointment.

Dont worry, this can be treated easily - show your doctor in time- be safe.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

If my answer has helped you, you need to rate my service positively with 4 or 5 stars(preferably 5 stars!) from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. If you do not see the ratings, then go your email and follow the link .

We are paid only when a positive rating is given. Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti