Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I'm 36 and a woman and ive been getting acne like spots on

Hi I'm 36 and a woman and ive been getting acne like spots on my face and neck and jawline and also ingrown hairs on my face
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: Its been going on for a couple of years now, it seemed to start when I got to my 30s
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I got checked for thyroid problems and the doctor said I didn't have thyroid problems and they said I had polycystic ovary syndrome my hormones are out of balance

Good afternoon, I am Dr Elliot. Thank you for your question. Are you able to provide a photo? Also what treatment have you used so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't provide foto my camera broken, I haven't tried any treatments yet

Okay thanks, ***** ***** worry. I will give you an overview then...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I forgot to say I have been getting spots underneath my skin and they are really sore but there's no head on them

So for any spots if acne, Benzoyl peroxide is first line, you can get this from a pharmacy. This helps dry spots out but can irritate the skin slightly. If this is not effective you can then use a combination cream which adds in a drug called a retinoid - again this is over the counter, or an antibiotic comination cream which would require a prescription.

Stepping up from this you can use a topical retinoid and add an oral antibiotic which is used for up to 12 weeks. This is as effective as the topical antibiotic but much better if you aren't as good at using it regularly or if the acne is more widespread and not just on your face.

This will help with sore skin aswell.

https://patient.info/skin-conditions/acne-leaflet/acne-treatments

This is a link to some acne treatments which may be of use to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much dr I really appreciate it

My pleasure. If you are able to arrange a photo, feel free to post it.

Please could you kindly click on the stars to rate my response to your answer, many thanks

This is the only way JustAnswer acknowledge my answer to you, thanks again