Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I’ve been suffering from acne since I’ve come back home it

Hello I’ve been suffering from acne since I’ve come back home it has flared up again. It was starting to clear up when I was away with work and now I’m wondering how to get rid of acne scarring and prevent my skin from flaring up.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: It start when I was around 14 and I’m now 21. Just my face has got worse. I have a very healthy lifestyle and nutrition. I don’t have dairy and Exercise everyday as it’s part of my job
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot. Are you able to provide a photo of your skin please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (GP6LMT2)

Thank you. Have you used anything so far?

So as a general rule you should start with benzoyl peroxide which you can get from a pharmacist and I would use one with combination with a retinoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used a lot of different skin care creams and remedies but none seem to do a long lasting effect. I am currently using face theory products

If that doesn’t help after a few weeks, you can add in a topical antibiotic. And then an oral antibiotic if no further benefit

After this the option is for roaccutane

So there is certainly a lot you could do, but I would start at the bottom of the list and work up depending on your results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the products I’m using should be helping me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much and where would I get a topical antibiotic from?

Sorry I missed your comment. Some of face theory products should. I think some of theirs contain a retinol

The topical antibiotic has to come from your GP if it was needed, but they could do that over the phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I get a higher based retinol product?

Try the link, it advises you on the conventional treatments

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!

If you have used a retinol for a few weeks already, I would step up to the antibiotics but continue to use a retinol product, this helps prevent resistance

No worries, best of luck with this. But you still have a lot of options, good luck

Please could you kindly rate my response to your question, many thanks