christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
109039644

Hope that you can help. For the last 6 months my husband has

Hello hope that you can help. For the last 6 months my husband has a recurring ( in total 8-9 instances) aggressive skin abscesses / boils on his neck and face and a 20 cm carbuncle in his back. The last abscess was 4 weeks ago on his jaw. Each time antibiotics are prescribed, 2 blood tests have been taken inc diabetes and a skin swab, all showing clear. Another abscess has appeared on his neck nr to his throat, whilst antibiotics temporarily help, can you advise me further how he can help illuminate these altogether. My husband is 48 years old and never has experienced any skin issues before. Many thanks Amy
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: approx 6 months -
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: he has had a skin yeast infection on his back - 2019

Hello I'm Dr Kasparis and would like to help. I'm sorry to hear these problems with your husband. CAn I ask you which antibiotic he has taken and for how long? HAve the course been short ie 1-2 weeks? Do they clear the lumps fully or partially? Is he otherwise well? any fevers for example? Has he got any other medical problems he takes medication for? Finally has he has acne in the past?

Have you got any photos of the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response,
He has had various antibiotics: some I remember:- metronidazole, amoxicillin & one which began with clov/clav ...( apologies) usually prescribed for a 7 day period, maximum 10 days & I would say the lumps do not fully clear by the end of the prescription.
Otherwise he is well, he takes no other medication & never has suffered with acne in the past.

Thank you that's useful. It sounds like his skin problems is not a simple skin infection but recurrent inflammation of the glands under the skin. This type of problem can have many causes including hormonal factors and weight issues , even in a person who has never had skin issues before.I would normally reccommend:

1. An antibiotic called Lymecycline 408 mg once daily for 8 weeks(as long as he is not allergic to tetracyclines). This antibiotic is frequently used for inflammatory problems of the skin. Penicillin based antibiotics only offer short term relief from such issues.

2. An antiseptic wash called hibiscrub used twice weekly.

These can be obtained from the GP. If at the end of the problem still persists he will need to be referred to a dermatologist to assess him thoroughly, occasionally a skin biopsy may be required to ascertain the exact cause of the problem. I hope this helps.

I have just seen your phone call request , let me know if you still require this and I will give you a call

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. Let me know if you wish to discuss further over the phone, otherwise have a nice day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, this is great and very helpful.
I will speak to the GP on Monday & request your recommendations. Many thanks Amy

Great, have a nice day and I hope your husband get better soon.