christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
109039644

I have red marks that have appeared all over my face over

I have red marks that have appeared all over my face over the past few weeks no cream works on my face to moisturise it it gets really dry and flaky
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: 3 weeks around the time i started wearing masks
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have a really low form of eczema
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My face was 100% clear around a month ago and always has been. Now ive got spots red patches and really dry and flaky skin

Hello I'm Dr Kasparis Dermatology Consultant, I am sorry to hear about your skin problem. CAn I ask you a couple more questions please.Does it itch or is it sore? Are there any particular masks that bring it on? HAs it ever gone away during these 3 months?Is there anything else new that has come into contact with your skin like new creams not used before . Finally are you able to upload a photo to see it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah sure, no its not necessarily itchy, although sometimes along my hairline it can be. Its not sore or anything its impossible to moisturise takes 3 sometimes 4 coatings or sometimes i’ll use vaseline then on top of that my eczema cream its very low level strength cream just for like dry skin. No it hasn’t gone away its worsened over time. No, i haven’t used any new creams. And sure i’ll try to take one now, however it may not be very clear as i’m currently in the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (GZTS67T)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesnt focus properly if i take a full face picture buts basically that all over my face

Thank you for the photo it gives me an idea of the problem. Can I check that the spots I can see on the forehead and sides of the face are part of this no problem and not a pre-existing one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It all appeared around the same time mate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two on the other side as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the other side

Thank you that's very useful. From what I can see you have developed a form of dermatitis and this could be in response to the use of a mask (irritant dermatitis). As you have sensitive skin you are more likely to develop irritation when in contact with things that can cause it. Moisturizing alone is not enough as the skin is red and inflamed so it constantly produces dry flaky skin.

My recommendation would be:

1. Try a different make of face mask , check that it is wool free. Take it off when not needed (i.e. in the car) to minimize contact.

2. Use eumovate cream every night for 2 weeks . This does not require a prescription it can be obtained from a chemist. After 2 weeks you may from occasion need to use it to keep things at bay but it may not be required if it is all clear.

3. Continue to moisturize several times a day for a few days until things start to improve and then you can reduce the frequency. I would recommend using a light lotion on the face such as Aveeno or Cerave.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers ***** *****’ll give it a go����

Thanks for the positive feedback, have a nice day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im at the pharmacy i’ve been told i cant take the eumovate cream for my face as its a steroid cream, any cream in specific you had in mind thats okay for face use?

You can use it on the face , we prescribe Eumovate and sometimes stronger steroids creams in Dermatology to use for a lshort period of time of time. You will not suffer any side-effects such as skin thinning when used for such a short period of time. It is only when steroid creams are used for a prolonged periods(several weeks ) continuously that they can cause problems. Trust me I have been in dermatology since 2008.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently i need permission from my GP in order to use it on my face. I don’t see the harm in it seeing as its only limited use. This was the Boots pharmacy i’ve just been too. They’ve given me some calamine lotion to use every night, doesn’t really matter buddy i’ll try again at another pharmacy see what they say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My normal pharmacy has said the same thing, i’ll give this calamine lotion a go if it doesn’t work i’ll just get permission from my gp to get the eumovate cream.

I'm sorry you've had trouble getting it. You don't need permission by your GP when it is recommended by a Consultant Dermatologist (even online!). Do try a different pharmacy, it is over the counter just mention that this is what was recommended by a Dermatologist to use on your rash.Let me know if you have any issues , happy to help.