christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
109039644

I have two problems on my skin. For a couple of months I've

Hi! I have two problems on my skin. For a couple of months I've had little pimples in my face. I had acne a couple of years ago, but it was treated and my skin was good afterwards. Now the pimples are not all over my face, they are specially in the sides, and as for lately my cheeks have an uneven texture. Also, since last year my hair has been falling A LOT. It goes through periods now, where it will fall and afterwards, it will be normal. I don't know what to do about it.
JA: The Dermatologist can help. To begin, when did the pimples first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Not for them, just creams. It has been like this for about five months now They are small, so I can cover them with make up, but I thought they would be gone by now and they still haven't healed
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a dermatologist about the pimples?
Customer: Not for this period, no
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Just that I had acne on the years 2015-2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (TGT3L2S)

Hi I'm Dr Kasparis Consultant Dermatologist, call me Christos. I would like to help with you skin problem. I would like to ask a couple of questions first. Does it cause any symptoms apart from the visual changes? Can I ask what treatment you had for acne and did it clear your skin completely? Regarding your hair loss, does your hair recover fully or do you notice thinning after the fall?Do they fall in round patches or from all over the scalp?

I will just review your photos

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For my acne previously I tried many many things, but what finally solved it was roaccutane. I still had a few pimples now and then, but it completely fixed it. I complemented that with benzoyl peroxide.
Right now I am keeping my routine quite simple, with mosturizer (la roche possay hydraphase legere, as my skin is really sensitive) and I sometimes use either the effaclar duo as a compliment, and I tried using two products Biretix duo and a new serum from 47 skin (that contains chitosan)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As for my hair, I think it recovers fully, or at least from what I have noticed it is not dramatically thining. It usually falls from all over the scalp but I can definitelly notice the patches in the front (as shown in the pictures)

I have had a look at your photos. The spots on the face are due to a mild form of acne. It is not uncommon to have flare-ups of acne from time to time even after you've had treatment for this. The causes are mainly hormonal and due to sensitivity of the oil glands. i suspect you have oily skin at times. It should be straight forward to treat with combination cream therapy that can be obtained from your GP:

1. Differin 0.1% cream at night (this can dry your skin a bit so reduce the frequency if that happens ) for 8-10 weeks

2. A topical antibiotic cream during the day such as Duac gel (5%) or Zineryt for 8-10 weeks

Regarding your hair loss- I can see some loss of density of the hair on the temples. The pattern of coming and going may suggest again hormonal factors but also low Iron levels. I would suggest booking a blood test with your GP to check both your ferritin levels and thyroid function tests. The ferritin levels need to be above a certain level (60) to maintain the hair growth, your GP will advise further.

I hope this helps!

If you are satisfied with the answer please give it a rating, many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Christos! I will try it out and see how my skin goes. And I will have blood test taken in order to ensure everything is okay.