Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I woke up with an itchy rash on both of my hands (in between

I woke up with an itchy rash on both of my hands (in between my fingers especially). One of my eyelids is also red and itchy and feels weird to the touch
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: It came up yesterday morning and its getting worse, seems to be extending. I have tried applying a handcream for eczema and it did not help. Also washing my hands makes them more dry and uncomfortable
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

Is this the first time you are having this or have you had such symptoms before?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a female and I am 26. I have never had any issues or skin allergies before

Please hold on while I type out your answer

This is likely to be due to an allergic reaction.

Check out whether you have started any new medications. Also try to recall any new foods that you took, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc. You could be having a food allergy. You should also watch out for any new soaps or detergents.

It could also be an allergic reaction to an insect bite.

If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, then you have to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, do not worry if this is so.

Meanwhile take Cap. Claritin (OTC) 1 cap. daily, this will cure the itching and rash. Also apply 1% Hydrocortisone cream (available OTC) on the rash and itching.

You should get immediate relief from the itching and it should heal within two - three days.

However, if itching or rash persists or it gets worse, see your doctor or go to the ER.

Other dermatological conditions like scabies, eczema, etc, need to be ruled out - your doctor can also prescribe prescription strength anti histaminics.

Try with the Claritin and ointment first.

Take care - this is likely to be an allergic reaction - try with the Claritin - if it persists see a doctor.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.

There are two possibilities for this.

Scalp Eczema: this is a chronic condition of the skin where there is recurrent eczematous reactions. You will need prescription antimicrobicidials and steroids.

Scalp Psoriasis: Psoriasis, a condition which can affect any part of the body, can also affect the scalp. You need to use treatments like coal tar shampoos.

You should consult a dermatologist for this. You need to get this checked up to determine the cause. Once the diagnosis is made, you can be treated for this.

If you do not get an early appointment with a dermatologist and you are having a lot of symptoms, you can apply 1% Hydrocortisone ointment for this. This will help greatly. But if you are going to the dermatologist soon you should not apply as it will make the lesion subside and cause problems in diagnosis.

With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD

Sorry for this answer, it was sent wrongly to you. Please ignore this.