How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 14138
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

I have a skin problem on the scalp exactly where the hair

This answer was rated:

Hello hello i have a skin problem on the scalp exactly where the hair ends behind the head.
it is a reddish spot that peels and itches it has increased in size over the last few years.
can you help or should i consult a doctor in person?
thank you
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: A guess more than 3 years
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I didn't notice that anything I did or used has improved or worsened

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

Has the patch remained in the same place or is it all over the scalp?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi i am a 34 year old woman
the problem remains in the same place only has increased in size

Ok, I have your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer

There are two possibilities for this.

Scalp Eczema: this is a chronic condition of the skin where there is recurrent eczematous reactions. You will need prescription antimicrobicidials and steroids.

Scalp Psoriasis: Psoriasis, a condition which can affect any part of the body, can also affect the scalp. You need to use treatments like coal tar shampoos.

You should consult a dermatologist for this. You need to get this checked up to determine the cause. Once the diagnosis is made, you can be treated for this.

If you do not get an early appointment with a dermatologist and you are having a lot of symptoms, you can apply 1% Hydrocortisone ointment for this. This will help greatly. But if you are going to the dermatologist soon you should not apply as it will make the lesion subside and cause problems in diagnosis.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD

Dr. P. Jyoti and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you