How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask christos kasparis Your Own Question
christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 134
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
christos kasparis is online now

I really would like to see a dermatologist for my acne,

This answer was rated:

Hello, i really would like to see a dermatologist for my acne, hyperpigmentation and scars
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i’ve only been to the gp and have taken a few things. i’ve tried differin, duac ... a few other topical treatments and some antibiotics (about 3 different types)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a lot of pink/purple post acne marks and quite a few spots and i’m not sure what to use or do

Hi I’m Dr Kasparis Dermatology Consultant I am sorry to hear about your problem. Can I ask do you get new spots or are these old marks? Are you able to upload any photos?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (ZQVMG2G)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do still get new spots which results in me getting new marks

I can see that you still have active acne and scars called icepick marks these are the denting on the skin. Were you given antibiotics by mouth or in cream form?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by mouth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know one of them was called minocycline

Thank you. When acne fails to respond to standard oral antibiotic therapy and cream therapy then you may need to take a tablet called Roaccutane. This is highly effective but has some potential side-effects and you need to be under the care of a Dermatologist to receive it. You will need to be referred by your GP or see one privately.They will make sure you are suitable for it. The course duration is 4-6 months. This will take of the active acne and stop you getting more spots but it won’t treat the scars. Once you complete the course you can then look at acne treatment options. For your type of scarring both laser fractionated therapy and chemical peeling are effective. You can access these treatments in a private medical cosmetic clinic. They are not available on the NHS.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one thing that did work for my skin was duac , it cleared my skin completely however after a year of using it it started to burn my skin and it went straight back to how it used to be. I’d like to see a dermatologist but my gp said that I wouldn’t be able to get referred to one so i think i may have to get a private one but i don’t think dermatologists are seeing patients at the moment are they? and if you know any that are open right now could you tell me
You would be eligible to see a Dermatologist given the fact you have resistant acne not responding to 3 oral antibiotics and you have acne scarring. This is an entirely appropriate reason to be referred. Dermatologists use video consultations so they can see you but the waiting time on the NHS can be long . The other option is to see one privately who will also offer you a video consultation as myself and many colleagues now use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would happen after we had a video consultation? Would you be able to send me the roaccutane?
it is possible to be sent a prescription, you would need to have someblood tests before starting and a pregnancy test that you can do at home. One would need to discuss contraception as well . Please visit and look for bisotretinoin
( roaccutane) leaflet it gives you all the information you need. So yes it is possible and you can choose who you see privately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would i get the blood tests? with a dermatologist or with a gp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there are no leaflets about bisotretinoin

You can have the blood tests at your GP surgery. You would need a fasting blood test for your full blood count, liver tests and lipid profile. Once these are normal you can start the treatment. I attach the direct link for the leaflet(it can be hard to find !)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, i’ve found it but i’m just confused as to how i start this. I’d like to get a private dermatologist so what’s the next step to take?
The next step is to book in with a private Dermatologist. Justanswer is an advice only service and does not send prescriptions, it can only recommend. I cannot promote my own private practice through this platform so you can either have a look online and book in with any Dermatologist of your preference or speak to your GP who will recommend onefor you . I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I book for a video call?
you can request a video consultation( most private Dermatologists will offer that option)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you

My pleasure I hope my advice helps.

Please don't forget to rate the answer as it is the only way to get credit for my time.

christos kasparis and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you