sofia khan
sofia khan, Doctor
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I have psorasis on the scalp and need to find out what to

I have psorasis on the scalp and need to find out what to use to treat it
JA: The Dermatologist can help. To begin, when did psoriasis first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: i think 2 years ago i didnt think it was psoriasis until it spread around my scalp behind my ears and started appearing at the tip of my forehead a year ago i have used aloe vera cream for scalp but thats it
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a dermatologist about psoriasis?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: none

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

to begin with, is ist possible for you to send me some pictures of your scalp?

also what products have you used or currently using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i send them?

through the attachment clip in the chat box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok 2 mins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have you got them?

yes, give a second to review

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you

Ok,

There appears to be quite thick scaling at the moment.

I can recommend a few things, bear in mind this a genetic condition, so it will come and go but will stay with you, with good care and suitable products you can make it disappear completly.

1. shampoos:

Tar based preparations eg Polytar ® or Alphosyl ® shampoo are useful when the scale is present.

Some patients are not keen on the smell of tar-based preparations and may wish to try an alternative such as Dermax ® shampoo

2. thick scale:

• Sebco ® scalp ointment is very effective at removing scale - massage into affected areas of the scalp for five minutes and leave on for at least two hours, but preferably overnight (some patients cannot tolerate the treatment for more than a few hours). Sebco should be washed out with Capasal ® shampoo
  • The treatment is messy and so if left on overnight patients should use an old pillowcase or towel, alternatively, the scalp can be occluded with a shower cap. Sebco maybe need to be used for a few days until the scale diminishes, and then used PRN as the scale builds up.

3. for flare ups:

your Gp can prescribe a topical steroid or dovobet gel, when it is more itchy and red in appearence.

4. use coconut oil regularly to keep it moisturised.

some of these shampoos you can buy OTC but for other treatment you may need a prescrition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so shampoo wise it would be Polytar or Alphosyl

you can use these as your regular shampoos instead of other ordinary shampoos but while you are using sebco, capasel would be a good option with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can use sebco before bed, when waking up for my shower, i should then use capasel?

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then coconut oil during the day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i also use Polytar after using sebco

yes absolutely, coconut oil should be in your regular routine,

use sebco ointment as a course so may be 5 nights in a row and then as and when needed.

You can use polytar once the scaling has resolved.

with sebco, capasel is usually better.

I hope this answers your question.

If you are happy with the response, Can I ask you to take some time to rate the consultation? Your feedback is very important for my professional growth and also for the fact that until you have rated the consultation we do not get paid for our work.

This does not mean that your query gets closed after that. You can come back as many times as you like through the thread and ask me further questions regarding this problem.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr Khan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok perfect thank you

You are welcome, have a good day.