christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
109039644

Looking for advice re a daily routine for combination skin,

Looking for advice re a daily routine for combination skin
JA: The Dermatologist can help. To begin, what are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: My cheeks and eye area can get very dry while my T-zone is where I get some spots and blackheads, and the pores are very noticeable. I haven't used any medication
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a dermatologist about the spots?
Customer: I haven't
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: I take regular medication for asthma and anxiety and I've been diagnosed with mild PCOS but I'm not currently taking anything for it

Hi I'm Dr Kasparis, Dermatology Consultant, I would like to help. Could you please tell me if you are using any products or treatments on your face at the moment? Are you able to upload any photos of your skin at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Kasparis, thanks so much for helping! I am using some serums from The Ordinary, but I felt I needed more so I started to google some things and just got very conflicted advice so decided I needed to speak to an actual dermatologist. I can try to upload some pictures yes!

Thank you please do and I will reply shortly !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (6VPS1LT)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have reviewed your photos, you probably have a mixed skin type with oily/acne prone skin on the mid-face(T-zone) and rather dry skin on the sides of the skin. This is not uncommon. This means you would benefit more from a combination of products.

1. For the T-zone I would recommend an anti-acne treatment, if you are able to get a prescription from your GP I would suggest using Epiduo gel 2-3 times a week only. This contains a retinoid and benzoyl peroxide that both counteract oily skin and mild acne. If you use it too much however it could try your skin. If you are not able to ask for thsi from your GP then try Acnecide 5% gel which is an over the counter cream

2. For the dry areas Cetaphil cream is pretty good, it is non-comedogenic and quite cheap to buy over the counter.You can apply this as much as it is needed. A good alternative is Cerave lotion, however this is a bit more hydrating and comedogenic

3. Lastly, Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser would be quite useful to use on a regular basis. It is not harsh and gets rid of all the debris without causing dryness.

This regime should make things a lot better.

Let me know if you have other questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you! ***** be using/avoiding a toner/exfoliater as part of my daily routine? I've also read that I should be avoiding Salicylic Acid and I wanted to ask your advice on that?

You can still use a toner perhaps once your skin has gone smoother and less oily. Reagdring salicylic acid, this can be effective in the oily areas that clog up but it can dry the skin when used in other parts . I would probably suggest not using for now.

Let me know if you need anything else. If you are happy please rate my answer in order to receive credit for my time. Christos

Hello , just before closing my session for the day I would be grateful if you could take a moment to leave your rating for my answer. You don't get charged anything extra but it means that I receive credit from justanswer for the opinion I provided you which I hope you are happy with. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the late reply!Thank you so much for all your help!!If it’s okay could I just ask something else? Would you recommend me to keep using the serums I’ve been using from The Ordinary after cleansing or should I not use them anymore? The ones I’ve been using are the caffeine solution for under my eyes, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide in the morning, and then the hyaluronic acid and plant-derived squalene in the evening.I’ll definitely do your rating, you’ve been so helpful thank you!

Hi no problem I appreciate that.

Your current daily regime with The ordinary contains good ingredients, caffeine ,niacinamide and hyaluronic acid can rejuvenate the skin , reduce dark pigmented marks and give it a smoother appearance. I am not too familiar with squalene to be honest. So in principal yes you could use them , however , it is sometimes best not to mix too many ingredients together. I would therefore suggest applying the topical therapy I recommended in the areas I advised whilst perhaps reducing the frequency of The ordinary for the next 3-4 weeks and see how this works for you. There is sometimes no absolute right answer with what you should be using as everyone's skin is very unique and responds differently. Trying a different method however allows you to see and compare results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks so so much!!

Many thanks!