Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

My 9 year old has what I call milk spots, the Dr says sebum

My 9 year old has what I call milk spots, the Dr says sebum spots, on his cheeks. What ever we use they don't seem to get any better since he was a baby. As he's getting older they get irratate and infected so Dr prescribes a steroid based cream to use until it calms but its just come back. What can I use to help this, and prevent full blown acne when puberty kicks in? He also has autism, and sensory issues so products on his face can be an issue. Missella (apologies for the spelling) water is about all he can manage at the moment
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: His whole life, full 9 years
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and please ignore these requests. I would prefer discussing your concern through chat.

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

Please send a picture in jpeg/jpg or png format. You can send it using the paper clip sign just above the space where we are typing

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

In case you cannot send a picture, please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can see here he's one looking rather inflamed, and some smaller white lump spots. Bar that red one there not too bad today, usually he's far more white spots

Thanks for the pictures. i will review them and get back to you in 5 - 10 mins with my recommendations.

hello

Thanks for your patience.

I can understand your concern.

They do seem to be comedones(early acne) , but if you see his skin it is very dry. Application of creams in this scenario, can be difficult as anti acne creams are very drying in nature. It is very essential to relieve the dryness, otherwise it can trigger more and more itching and irritation.

I would recommend application of cetaphil cream twice a day on the face.

Also application of differin gel on the acne is useful once at night. BUt since its difficult for him to apply creams, you could leave them alone for a while. Cetaphil cream can be applied.

If its possible to appy differin gel, it can be applied for 2 hours every night.

its not easy to deal with acne. it requires a lot of time and efforts. it can start as neonatal acne.

But for a person as young , its recommended to even not treat it. Thats one possibility.it will slowly get better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** really hope it gets better as I'm not sure he'd cope with severe acne (he's picker and whikst he knows not to pick, impulsive!). With the cetaphil I've had a little look and would the daily cream with spf be OK?
Should we try differin gel instead of the steroid cream or along side?

thanks for your reply.

it will slowly get better. daily cream with spf is better avoided in children, it contains a chemical sunscreen instead of a physical one.

differin gel can be applied alongside steroid cream but both at different times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah I see, I'll avoid that then. Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get control of it!

Wishing a speedy resolution of his concern.