dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Second opinion] I am asking for consultation on behalf of my

second opinion] Hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am asking for consultation on behalf of my father. my father has skin tags on his face and neck. In the starting it wasn’t a lot in number but he got it removed from some local doctor . And now he has around 60-70 skin tags all over his face and neck. He is 48years old, a heart patient with diabetes. He is in a lot of discomfort and has tried removing it multiple times over the past years but it keeps on coming back in more capacity. Kindly help me through the right way. How can we treat it? I can send you a picture of his face , if that will help.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: It has been 6-7 years. It started with a few under his armpit and on neck , now it’s on his face and neck in a huge number.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: He had a heart surgery few years back where he had three stunts inserted in his heart. He is 95kg in weight.

Thank you for requesting me.

I would be happy to look at a picture of his skin tags.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not a proper picture, these are on his face, neck and head also in huge numbers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping you can tell me a good sustainable solution to this. Because he is in a lot of discomfort because of this as every time he gets them removed they come back in more number . He is unable to shave because it gives him cuts all over his face

This is probably a combination of diabetes ( there seems to be a link) and genetics.

Treatment still consists of either cautery of the base with an electric needle, freezing or snipping. There seem to be a lot of treatments out there for this but judging by the problems brought up on this site they are not always successful.

To prevent these I would recommend a cream to keep the area lubricated. There is a some evidence that AmLactin Cream might be the best in preventing these.

Avoid jewelry like necklaces too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the dermatologist he went to told him that it might be some kind of virus or bacterial infection which keeps on spreading. Can there be any truth to it?
Because the moment he gets them removed it grapes back in a month or two
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His diabetes are in control as he is on regular medication for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can he do to stop them from growing again? Is there any way?

There was a paper that showed 70% of skin tags do have viral part to them, HPV 6 and 11, so your dermatologist is correct.

You could ask your doctor to prescribe Aldara cream which will up regulate immunity to the virus. I would also recommend he take Zinc Gluconate 30 mg. a day and Vitamin C 500 mg. twice a day which will also stimulate his immune system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you sure these won’t have any side effects on his health as he has heart problem, he had had two major heart attacks.

Vitamin C or Zinc no. Aldara cream, I am not aware of anything like that. He would just put it on the skin tag.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, will it remove them?

No. All those would stimulate his immune system. The moisturizer will decrease the friction co-efficient and make them less likely to come up. The only consistent and safe methods of removal are what I mentioned; cautery, freezing or snipping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much
You have been very helpful

You are very welcome.

If you do not have further questions, kindly ACCEPT and rate me. Good luck with your Dad. It is wonderful that you are taking care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure

Thank you. ( I would really try the Aldara cream)/