christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
109039644

I have never been too self-conscious about my acne, however,

I have never been too self-conscious about my acne, however, it has become even worse and some spots are large, saw and I have been getting acne on my neck, chest, and back. I use a facial scrub and wash especially for acne-prone skin but it's not easing it at all. Due to this lockdown, I am unable to go to my GP, what products would you suggest I use that work better than the scrub and wash I currently have.
JA: The Dermatologist can help. To begin, when did acne first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: my skin has been quite bad for a number of years (I am 17), I don't know whether its hormonal, diet, etc, and I haven't gone to the doctors at all for it but my cousin did when she had really bad skin and she was prescribed a cream and antibiotic and it helped but I don't know whether it would help me though.
JA: Thanks for that. When was your last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: I have never been referred to a dermatologist
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: I am not sure, the doctor did some tests to see if I had PCOS(0

Hi I am Dr Kasparis, Consultant dermatologistr please call me Christos. I am sorry to hear about your acne problem. Before I give you my advice can I ask a couple of things. Do you sometimes get sore lumpy spots under the skin? What treatments have you had so far, any thing prescribed? Finally can you upload some photos ideally from different skin areas and I will get back to you with my opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (PPMV63T)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never been prescribed anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (PPQ5PGS)

Thank you that's very useful.

You certainly have acne which is very common and very treatable. Causes are multiple but it comes down to genetic and hormonal factors. there is nothing really in your diet that by changing will make a huge difference. I would say you have moderate inflammatory acne, this means that the main skin problem is inflamed oil glads under your skin. This type responds really well to an antibiotic by mouth together with a cream to use at night. Although in lockdown, many GP surgeries offer telephone consultations and can issue prescriptions. You can always mention you have already had a consultation with a Dermatologist. My recommended plan would be:

1. Lymecycline 408 mg once daily for 3 months, this is a commonly prescribed and effective antiobiotic for acne (as lomng as you have no allergy to tetracyclines)-on prescription only

2. Differin 0.1% cream to use on the face at night, this works by reducing the sebum (oil) production from your glands.This is on prescription only. It is not suitable to apply on the body and it can dry the skin so you may also need to moisturize with a good cream such as cetaphil cream.

This plan would really get things under control and perhaps clear your skin completely. If for whatever reason you can't see or speak to your GP for a prescription, you can start an over the counter cream called acnecide 5% gel to use on the face. It is weak but will have some effect until you can start proper treatment. Please don't spend any money on other creams over the counter as they would likely have a limited effect on your acne. If you feel you may have PCOS that can sometimes drive acne, speak to your GP to have a blood test and an ultrasound scan.

Let me know if this helps

https://www.bad.org.uk/patient-information-leaflets/acne

This is a useful read from the British association of Dermatologists on acne

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou I may talk with my gp this week. Your advice has been a helpful source instead of the wide range of random things on the internet

Not a problem , my pleasure. You are absolutely right there too much information out there which is too confusing. I am confident this will work for you.

If you are satisfied please leave your rating , you can always come back and ask me something.

All the best with your treatment. Christos

Let me know if you need anything else. Please don't forget to leave your rating as this is the only way I can receive credit for my opinion. You don't get charged extra if you do. Many thanks!