Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I’ve noticed a new mole/freckle appear on my 3 year old neck

Hi I’ve noticed a new mole/freckle appear on my 3 year old neck yesterday, it’s irregular and slightly raised in the middle
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: no numbness or tingling It was noticed yesterday
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Are you able to attach a photo of this please? thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (PG5PP5Q)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon these are the pictures, it’s just behind the ear

Excellent, thank you. So regarding moles, in children they would rarely present in children, and if they do they often to be irregular pale lesions.

The lesion in the photo is irregular as you have said, although something sinister is very unlikely - this would be much better to have someone take a look in person.

The fact that it is raised suggests that it could be a completely benign keratosis.

I would phone your GP, seeing this in person would help, sometimes you can see warty appearances to the surface, or even evidence it is not a mole with the naked eye. They may be able to use a dermatoscope for a much closer look.

I am certain you have nothing to worry about, but better not be too cautious with this

I hope this is of some help to you and your little one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, youve reassured me but I’ll ring my gp just to have a closer look. Thanks again

Not a problem. Best of luck.

Please could you kindly click on the stars to provide a rating for my response, many thanks