christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBChB, MRCP, FRCP (Lon)
109039644

Scar healing, im an advanced nurse practitioner, it’s my

Scar healing
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: im an advanced nurse practitioner, it’s my daughter who is 16. She is type 1 diabetic on insilin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hi I’m Dr Kasparis, Dermatology Consultant, I’m going to help with your question.Please tell me a little more about the scar, a photo would also be very useful. I wil reply shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She scratched across her face on a metal dance that she walked into. It hardly bled as the skin looked scuffed so you could not have stitched it. I’m just worried about healing and the best way to reduce the scar- I’ve started using silicone sheets at night- I will attach a picture on the day of injury and day 5 which was yesterday
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fence not dance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Day of injury

Thank you, ***** ***** just having a look. When did they injury take place, how many days ago?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6 days today

Thank you. This looks quite superficial, I don't think the skin has been penetrated enough to cause any significant scarring. It is still inflamed and has scabbed and I cannot see signs of infection.

It is too early to start using silicone sheets, these are best used once all the scabbing has resolved, the best timing is 3 weeks post-injury.

For now I would advise you to use either pure vaseline (new pot) or if you have access to skin emollient like hydromol , cetraben or 50/50 it would be preferable. Then by all means use the silicone sheets until you are satisfied with the results but for at least 4 weeks.

She will a mark for several weeks but this with time will fade (post-inflammatory pigmentation). As mentioned I don't think she will have any significant scarring from this and with time the markings will fade,

Another reassuring sign is that there was not much bleeding meaning that the dermis and beyond was not significantly affected. Again points towards a superficial injury

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you- I’m just worried because it is raised up. Will this settle down then? We used Vaseline for the first 4 days . I was surprised it look so raised as it scraped the skin so my thought process was it hasn’t penetrated the deeper skin layers so shouldn’t scar too badly

Lacerations of this kind can sometimes lead to fluid and oedema under the skin which make the edges become raised. It will settle down. Obviously look out for signs of infection such as increasing pain, expanding redness around the would and yellow /pus discharge. She would need some antibiotics then but it does not look infected at all now. Just wait before you use silicone , it has no positive effect at the moment as the skin is still inflamed

Let me know if you have other questions.

If you are happy please rate the answer as this is the only way I receive credit for the opinion. You can always come back with a question at a later stage, you will not be charged extra.

I hope she gets better soon. Christos

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, I feel reassured after speaking with you

PLeasure , she will be fine. I forgot to mention, use sunscreen , SPF 30 + on the area (once scab falls off ) in the morning when she goes out, for about 2 months. This will reduce any pigment formation.

Thanks for the feedback.