Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am diabetic I have leg cramps over the years on and off.

Customer Question

I am diabetic I have leg cramps over the years on and off. But since last Tuesday, a cramp has locked my left leg. Am in round the clock pain, which is affecting my abdomen, and foot. Am diabetic on insolin and tablets, have high chlostral, high blood pressure. what can I do to help myself, I have not consult a doctor.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 6 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering from this. Legs cramps can be very disruptive, and yours sounds rather severe.

Leg cramps can be thought to be related to over excitable cells within the muscles, and a medication called Quinine helps suppress these and is often used for leg cramps, certainly nocturnal leg cramps.

If yours is increasingly getting worse, then you should ensure that you kidney function is normal, that you are hydrated.

The only thing I cannot explain is why this is affecting your abdomen and therefore I would suggest you need to arrange an examination to assess this further.

I hope this is of some help to you. Please feel free to ask any further questions.