Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I'd like some folliculitis (assumed diagnosis) advice

Hi - I'd like some folliculitis (assumed diagnosis) advice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Can you please post some pictures of that for me here?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi - will do. I was on here a few weeks back - I had been referred as a suspected BCC, based on an internet based GP review in UK (see 'original sore' pic). This was reviewed by a dermatologist who performed dermoscopy & concluded "presumed folliculitis". I was given Trimovate cream.That was 3 months back & the cream hasn't resolved the lesion. It has changed appearance through - I think covering a broader area & diffuse pink (see 'current pic'). During this time I have changed my skin care regime & have much less greasy skin (it was incredibly greasy at time of lesion appearance). I have also a photo taken by wife before red lesion appeared - this seems to show a white pimple at same site (pic 'original pimple'), I assume this to be the same thing as seems too much a coincidence.The lesion has changed appearance over time (see pics 'almost cleared' and 'crusty'). It has varied from a vague red patch that is barely visible, to a crusty sore. No pain or itch at any point.I did have a slight breakout of itchy pimples that I cleared with Nizoral shampoo on face quite easily - but that had no effect on this.I have a long wait for a follow up derm appointment. Do I have anything to worry about (I have nightmares of eg. cutaneous follicular lymphoma!!) and is there anything I can do?

Got them--hold on please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
seems odd to be so resistant & not heal - but I have read about eg. fungal infections that can go deep & resist topical treatment.

It is folliculitis but I wouldn't treat it with Trimovate cream

Not any kind of cancer

I'd treat that with an antibacterial ointment like Neopsporin or Bacitracin applied twice a day for two weeks

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Dr Chip - very reassuring!

My pleasure

I'm here if you ever need me again

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
out of interest - why not Trimovate? This has Nystatin & some antibioitic in. Is it the steroid that is the issue?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I do have bacitracin but it is a year out of date. That is not OTC in UK so would need to wait for a docs appointment unfortunately.

Yes--the steroid can actually make this worse

It's safe to use that Bacitracin

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
wow - never knew that. Well it is not improving so time to change. Actually - most improvement was from new skincare regime (less or no moisturiser) and a week at the beach - lots of salt sea water on face.

Sounds good