Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Experience:  MBBS MS
5625079

My 18yr old daughter suffers from what she describes as

my 18yr old daughter suffers from what she describes as burning and bitting under her skin it can happen at any time of the day she is absolutely dis tressed with this an she needs help
JA: When did the burning first appear? Has your daughter used any medication for this?
Customer: it started about two weeks ago and shes, not on any medication but she has also experienced this a few years back but it went a way and now its back
JA: Got it. Has she seen a dermatologist about the burning?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: not that I can think of

Are there any skin rashes?

Were any investigations done for these symptoms?

Does this burning and biting under the skin come and go?

Are there any specific areas of the body where these symptoms are experienced?

Is there any history of anxiety/depression?

Is she on any medication/herb?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
No skin rashes but she definitely feels biting under her skin she describes it as a burning biting sensation and she does suffer from anxiety .No medication

Thanks for talking on the phone.

She has two issues;

1) The skin sensation of biting and burning.

2) Absence of period for 3 years.

A multivitamin, vitamin B 12, and iron supplement would definitely help in both of her problems.

The laboratory testing done for the absence of period (termed as secondary amenorrhea) should include measurements of serum prolactin, thyrotropin, and FSH to test for hyperprolactinemia, thyroid disease, and ovarian failure. Apart from pregnancy other causes of missed or delayed periods are;

1) Ovarian hormone dysfunctions

2) Thyroid hormone abnormalities

3) Stress, anxiety, emotional disorders

4) Sudden weight loss or gain

5) Excessive physical activity

6) Hyperprolactinemia

If all the hormonal and above causes are ruled out, one of the most common types of secondary amenorrhea is functional hypothalamic amenorrhea, which by definition rules out pathologic disease. In this, there is a decrease in hypothalamic gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) secretion. Multiple factors may contribute to the pathogenesis of functional hypothalamic amenorrhea, including eating disorders, exercise, and stress. However, in a few women with functional hypothalamic amenorrhea, no obvious precipitating factor is evident (this might be true in your case).

Please read this link and the following heading; 3.0 Treatment of functional hypothalamic amenorrhea and concomitant medical conditions

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/102/5/1413/3077281

Read the resource under the heading secondary amenorrhea;

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001219.htm

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/amenorrhea/symptoms-causes/syc-20369299

The screening tests for the patient with amenorrhea include urinary HCG, complete blood count, sedimentation rate, thyroid function, prolactin, FSH and LH, and assessment of estrogen status.

Causes of amenorrhea/delayed period are drugs, and systemic diseases, hypothalamic and pituitary amenorrhea, "postpill" amenorrhea; hyperprolactinemia, androgen resistance, etc.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

" I sincerely hope that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Thank you!”.

“I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to add me as your favorite and come back anytime to ask another question.”

Stay blessed.