Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Looking for advice on changing pigmentation on 5 year old

Looking for advice on changing pigmentation on 5 year old daughters skin. We first noticed two cafe au lait spots one on her leg and one on her trunk in 2018 when she was 2 and half. She has recently turned 5 and the one on her leg looks like it has got bigger I am wondering if this has been caused by her growing and legs getting longer? I've found a photo from 2018 and have included a recent photo.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us this evening.

These spots tend to become more prominent later in infancy, and this is often due to more sun exposure over time altering the pigmentation - this is quite a common finding. Anything less than 3 spots is not suggestive of anything.

However I would suggest if there has been changes, it would be worth getting someone to check these in person.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any further questions, Dr Ruff.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thank you. From the recent photos does it suggest any cause for concern or is the increase in size likely due to leg length increase? Unfortunately my local surgery is only doing face to face appointments for emergencies, so I will not be able to take her to be seen in person.

Yes, they naturally get bigger as they grow, but I cannot see a reason for concern from a photo.

I would ask for an appointment as your child as a lesion that is changing shape, size and colour...not that I feel this is urgent, but any change in lesion is important to assess. They should then offer an appt.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thank you.

My pleasure, take care.