Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

The skin on my face has become very dry. It sometimed peels

Hello, the skin on my face has become very dry. It sometimed peels off as if it was dandruff. It is especially bad under my beard. Some patches of skin are red, but this is probably from the peeled off skin. What could be the cause? My only nutritional concern is that I drink around 4x 250ml energy drinks a day

Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Kruti , I am a specialist in the field and I will be happy to help.

i can understand how worried you may be about it.

I will try to give you suggestions which help.

The answer does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I would like to inform that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site , I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:-

Usually skin conditions are best diagnosed if its possible to see them , so it gives me a clearer picture of what the problem is. Hence I would like to request you to please send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

Please send a picture in jpeg/jpg or png format. You can send it as an attachment here, using the paper clip sign on the toolbar , just above the space where we are typing or using the add files next to the send button. Or alternatively you can upload them on google photos and send me the link.

In case, its not possible for you to send a picture, I can understand, please do let me know. I will surely try to still help you out.

Thanks. Regards

Dr. Kruti

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
In the area right next to the ear, the peeling off is seen best. Also the iritation under the beard can slightly be seen in the picture. Let me know if they are clean enough

hello

Thanks for the information and pictures.

please allow me 10- 15 mins to type down my recommendations, so that I could help you in the best possible way.

hello

Thanks for your patience.

You seem to be having a condition called seborrheic dermatitis. Its an eczema.

The eyelid ,face(areas where you have the rash) and the chest are common sites for this eczema to occur.

Since its an eczema, its recurrent. But we can always try to keep it under check.

I would recommend the following:-

the best treatment to treat it is to apply steroid cream and anti fungal cream over it.

lotrimin cream mixed with cortisone cream, once a day for 10 days.

if the scalp is affected, washing with nizoral shampoo and then applying cortisone lotion twice a day will be effective.

After 2 weeks,, elidel cream can be considered for application on affected areas. But it will require a prescription.

you can take oral antihistaminic tablet claritin 5 mg once daily in the morning for a week, to control itching, if any. Also it will help to control the allergic process and will be helpful.

Also application of a moisturizing lotion such as Aveeno will be beneficial in controlling the dermatitis and also in helping with the skin peeling.

I would recommend not shaving for a week, till the rash comes under control.

these are my recommendations, hope they are useful.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

take care

please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.

hope this answer was useful.