Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had a cyst diagnosed as benign but I am being told

Customer Question

Hi there, I have had a cyst diagnosed as benign but I am being told only way to remove is through excision - very expensive and I do not know if absolutely necessary. NHS won't go near it
JA: When did the cyst first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: No medication. Probably around eight months ago following tattoo removal It is a sebaceous cyst
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about the cyst?
Customer: Yes They are suggesting excision - but as this is through private healthcare I am cynical. Cost is £1000 No suggestion of cryo
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

If you have no pain or discomfort and the cyst is not getting bigger, you can avoid removing it.

Where is it located?

Do you have a pic?

Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm finding it impossible to take a pic as it's on my right arm and I am right handed. I do assure you it is a sebaceous cyst diagnosed twice by a GP then a dermatologist. My question is can it be removed by cryo or is excision the only way to go? No pain or discomfort - I wish to remove it for aesthetic purposes only.Thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 days ago.

Unfortunately, no other technique will work best.

There is risk of recurrence if the cyst is not removed completely with its lining by excision.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 days ago.

Very welcome