Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My son has ADHD and Autism. He has problem with the skin

My son has ADHD and Autism. He has problem with the skin around his nose and on his scalp. Thick flakes of dry skin around nose and on scalp there lots of tiny dried scabs and again thick flakes of skin which are very visible. It's also very crusty around the hairline above the forehead. Please advise. Thanks
JA: When did flakey skin first appear? Has your son used any medication for this?
Customer: he was given NIzoral cream and Ketoconazole shampoo for the past 3 years. The flaky skin appeared a while ago and had gotten worse when i saw him last weekend
JA: Got it. Has he seen a dermatologist about flakey skin?
Customer: No he hasn't. I live in London and he is living Stourbridge with supported living carers
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: I took him to a private dermatologist in London who diagnosed Seborrheic dermatitis which was not healing by the meds given by GP and found out that he was given the wrong meds. This was at the time for sores in the corner of his mouth. They healed and never reappeared since but this new condition developed

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry that your son is having this. This sounds like it could be seborrheic dermatitis or even psoriasis. The treatments you have tried are used to remove excess skin as over inflammation of the skin causes this. If this has not helped, then a topical steroid may now be more appropriate. A steroid scalp solution is available for the hair, and a topical steroid cream would be better for the nose.

These do however require a prescription.