Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

What is the best solution to red ingrown hairs on your neck?

JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: 3 months, some creams and essential oils
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Hypothyroidism

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question.

Skin conditions are always best diagnosed and treated after seeing them directly. May I request you to upload some images of the skin lesion, so that I can see and guide you better please.

I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
A few areas of redness here, main area of concern is the lower neck area

Please hold on.

I understand your concern.

To treat ingrown hairs, stop shaving, tweezing or waxing until the condition improves — usually one to six months. If that's not possible, consider laser treatment, which removes the hair at a deeper level and inhibits regrowth. Laser treatment may cause blisters, scars and skin darkening.

Medications include -

Drugs that help remove dead skin cells. Retinoids applied to your skin, such as tretinoin (Renova, Retin-A, others), help with clearing dead cells from your skin (exfoliation).

Creams to reduce inflammation like a steroid cream.

Creams or pills to control infection if any - but not in this particular case - I do not see any bad infection here. For mild infections caused by scratching the affected area, your doctor may recommend an antibiotic ointment. For more severe infection, your doctor may prescribe oral antibiotics.

To release ingrown hairs, you can do something like -

Wash the affected area using a washcloth or soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a circular motion for several minutes. Do this before shaving and at bedtime.

Use a sterile needle, inserting it under hair loops, to gently lift embedded hair tips.

The other unlikely possibility here is acne.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you! Please do let me know if you need any further clarification in this regard and we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

I tried calling you - but there was no response.

Let me know in how many hours from now should I call you back please.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you doctor. No need for the call. Do you reccomend I try any form of home remedies in the meantime to lessen the redness.
please you can try what I had suggested above.