Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Experience:  MBBS MS
5625079

I think I may have fungal acne and I am unsure how to treat

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Hi, I think I may have fungal acne and I am unsure how to treat it. I'm unsure what products to use? At the moment I am cleansing and moisturising twice a day and am seeing not much of a difference. Typically I have quite an oily forehead and cheeks and then i have tiny little bumps on the forehead and on the side of my face as well. I just need to know whether my diet needs changing and what products will work best for my skin and how to get rid of the tiny little bumps because it makes me feel less confident than a 23 year old male should do
JA: When did the fungus first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I've had it mildly over the year but want it sorted. I have done some research and apparently using an anti-dandruff shampoo helps but I havent used it
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about the fungus?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
where are the cheapest yet best places to get a consultation if need be?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 20 days ago.

Malassezia (Pityrosporum) folliculitis is a fungal acneiform condition.

It is likely due to increased sebaceous gland activity.

Diagnostic studies include microscopic evaluation of the presence of yeast, cultures, and biopsies by a dermatologist/skin specialist.

The most effective treatment is oral antifungal medication (ketoconazole), particularly in the beginning as the yeast is located deep within the hair follicle. Topical antifungals are useful as adjunctive therapy as well as maintenance and prophylactic therapy, especially as recurrence is common.

Topical products, such as make-up, lotion, or sunscreens may also promote flares so should be avoided.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.