Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  30 years of primary care medicine
19706630

I have a case of alopecia barbae and am looking to have

Customer Question

Hi, I have a case of alopecia barbae and am looking to have something prescribed for it, can I get some help on this ?
JA: When did alopecia first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: 2 and a half weeks ago, I have not used any treatment
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about alopecia?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 21 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m a board certified certified physician. Welcome to Just Answer. I understand your concern.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
great
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 21 days ago.
The following are the treatments for this condition.Corticosteroids. These are anti-inflammatory drugs used to suppress the immune system. Usually, they’re applied topically or given as shots.Minoxidil (Rogaine). This is a topical drug used to treat pattern baldness. Twice a day, the medication is applied to the affected area as a liquid or a foam. Results can be seen after three months.Diphencyprone (DPCP). This medication can be applied to bald patches. It causes an allergic reaction characterized by redness, swelling, and itching. This is thought to trick the immune system into sending white blood cells to the surface of the skin to reduce inflammation and keep the hair follicles active. Results can take three months.Anthralin. This is a cream or ointment often used to treat psoriasis. The tar-like substance is applied to hairless patches once a day and left on for 30 minutes to up to a few hours. It irritates the skin, promoting hair growth. Results are usually visible within 8 to 12 weeks.These are all prescription medication that unfortunately we can’t prescribe online. You need to get a prescription from your gp or dermatologist.