Khizra Naz
Khizra Naz,
Experience:  GP training at St helens and knowsely trust (Acute Worcestershire Hospital Trust, Ul
108331350

Dear Sirs, On Wednesday evening I felt a sharp pain on the

Dear Sirs,On Wednesday evening I felt a sharp pain on the right side of my torso; on the bra line between the axilla line and the right breast.I had two scans yesterday. The first scan was to see the lump only; the sonographer was unsure as to whether it was an abscess or a sebaceous cyst. The subsequent report then stated that it is an abscess.The second scan included a full breast scan and again a scan of the lump. This sonographer is however absolutely certain that I have a sebaceous cyst. Also when requesting confirmation, having seen the first sonographer’s report, she maintains that this is a cyst.My GP however thinks I should not drain/ operate/excise the cyst, but take a course of antibiotics. The sonographer however thought it should be drained.So my question really is; who is right? can you establish whether this is an abscess or a cyst? It does hurt but there are no lesions on the skin. It started of by not being noticeable on Wednesday night but I then started prodding and touching it so it got red and the next day on Thursday there was a noticeable ‘red’ area.If it is either, could it just go away on its own? Would it not be better to just drain it? Is there a cream etc that could be used?I am confused as to the different views!Many thanks,
Julia

Hello My name is***** will try my best to help you today.

And please ignore any phone requests, these are generated automatically by Just Answer beyond my control.

Do you have any fever? Any severe pain? Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No fever; I had some weight loss this week (but I’m on a diet which started on Monday and did exercise every day) no pain otherwise, but the cyst/abscess hurts.

From what you have told and from the confirmation of sonographers and images, I can say it is sebacious cyst. Your GP is right, first trial of antibiotics should be taken before going for the option for drainage.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you; so even if it is a cyst, the first course of action is antibiotics? There is a chance that they could help even if this is a cyst?

Yes, Try antibiotics, they are usually self limiting and go away on their own.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How long would it normally take to go away please?

3-6 months.

Repeat Ultrasounds every 3 months.

Is that alright?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you