dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Second opinion] I am suffering with bad keratosis Pilaris, I

second opinion] Hello, I am suffering with bad keratosis Pilaris, I am exfoliating, and using a salicylic acid wash and moisturiser and have been for over nearly 2 months now.. But it has got significantly worse. Really red, and horrible and I don’t know where else to turn now. Nothing is working for me.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I’ve had them for nearly a year now. About 10 months. And it gets worse if I don’t moisturise but seems to get worse when I exfoliate
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing

Thank you for requesting me

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the time you are taking to answer my question

There are a number of other treatments for KP. I usually try AmLactin first and if this does not work, then Eucerin Advanced Repair. What you can do is try each of those on different arms and see which works better. After you find one works better go with that one. If neither help, Tazorac cream, which is prescription, should be tried.

AmLactin and Eucerin Advanced Repair are both over the counter.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thank you! Do you have a recommended routine for using these? And how often should I exfoliate? Do you also recommend that I remove the hairs on my arm? Only because it appears to make my condition look worse.. I only have it severely on one arm.

Apply it twice a day. I would not hair the hairs. Sunlight helps.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thank you very much

You are very welcome. Feel free to ask further questions.