Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Experience:  MBBS MS
5625079

I've been really struggling with my eczema lately to the

Customer Question

Hi I've been really struggling with my eczema lately to the point where it's becoming unbearable. My face is red raw and um constantly itching and sore all over my body. I went to the hospital last week and they gave me a 5 day course of steroids which helped but I've finished the course now and it's come back again. Not sure what else I can do now.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: I've had eczema since I was born. But lately it's just got really bad and I've not been able to get it under control. It's really affecting my mental health and I already suffer with mental health issues. Sometimes I just stay in bed all day because it's less painful to get up. I don't have any other skin concerns
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma and borderline personality disorder and depression
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry for your symptoms.

The following measures are advised;

Long-term steroid: a long-term steroid-like Prednisolone will help greatly.

Retinoids: systemic Can be curative.

Immunosuppressants: Immunosuppressants like Tacrolimus and Pimecrolimus are the mainstay in intractable eczema

Light therapy: like Ultraviolet and Grenz Ray therapy.

The above therapies dermatologist can prescribe and which will help significantly.

Meanwhile, continue the normal steps of treatment for Eczema:

Antihistaminic: Continue the antiallergics.

Avoid sunlight: This is most important. Avoid going out into the sun as far as possible. If you may have to go out, use a wide-brimmed hat and long-sleeved dresses and pants. Sunscreen is a must – use sunscreens with 50% SPF or more.
Emollients: Use an emollient, a hand cream twice daily. Combine the Emollient with the Hydrocortisone ointment or can also alternate the two.

Avoiding the irritant: If some irritant can be identified, then it should be avoided.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.