Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I really need a dermatologist as I really don’t know what to

I really need a dermatologist as I really don’t know what to do with my face. Every guy is different some use soap, some use shower gel, or just water. Since September I’ve always stocked to a skincare routine washing my face with a cleaner, then exfoliate and moisturise then people don’t do that I’ve been told and just wash their face with water. So I recently stopped skincare on google and everything it keeps saying wash your face with a face wash to remove dirt then moisturiser to lock in moisture but does it really help and work. Since now I wash my face with cold water which is good I’ve been told my skin becomes really dry and looks dull not sure why and I do get breakouts often
Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today
I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. Do you have a photo please?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi there Elliot how are you?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sure hold on
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This is my skin with just using cold water
Good thanks. Great I shall have a look
Thanks. And what concerns do you have?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Some guys use soap, body wash or just water. I’ve researched and researched on google for a skincare routine and it keeps saying to Wash my face with cleanser, exfoliate, moisturie, eye cream etc.. but I’m not really sure like do they really help
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If I wash it with cold water my skin will start to look dry and flake a bit. I don’t know how to stick to something
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Like as your skin is clear how do you maintain it that way if you don’t mind answering?
Okay thanks. So this doesn’t matter. Skin care routine is generally very important for those who have acne or skin conditions.Water doesn’t dry the skin like soap does. But if soap doesn’t cause you any problems, then it doesn’t matter.Some people have oily skin therefore an emollient isn’t going to be of much benefit.If you get blemishes, try products such as Clinique 3 step. I would try anything more than that to be honest.Re me, I use shower gel and water. But I have never really had spots. But in this weather my skin gets dry and a moisturiser would probably help
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is extremely cold water best? Is there a specific shower gel like 3 in 1 action for face, body and hair?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh okay so I don’t need a face wash, exfoliater and moisturiser as I don’t have server acne if I am right?
Extremely cold water probably will not be of anymore benefit, and shower gel is shower gel. I wouldn’t use it if you have sensitive skin, as mentioned it can be drying.Look into Clinique 3 step to start with. Their website was quite good and helping show what products to use
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Since teenage years I suffered with acne and I always looked into skincare and stuck with it for years then when people tell me they do nothing to their skin and use cold water only I have stopped and I feel as though why am I wasting my money
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
my skin gets very dry and flaky from cold water and I’ve been told to use that
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
A lot of men do as it wakes up their skin apparently
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what I do right now is when I wake up, I use extremely cold water the coldest it can be on my tap and wash it calmly then pat it with a towel and use a Nivea soft moisturising cream. Is there anything bad in that routine?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sometimes I do need to pray so I do have often wash my face a couple times throughout the day, should I moisturiser again or is it too much to clog up my pores
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
As my acne has really calmed down, from previous years, I do not look into a skincare routine that much now but before I have used many products
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are we still connected?