Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Ive been on a short course of Roaccutane lasst year that

Customer Question

Ive been on a short course of Roaccutane lasst year that cleared up my skin but am now getting issues with my skin on my chest and forehead again. My chest skin feels coarse and is red and bumpy in parts. My forehead is quite oily and small pussy spots are appearing again.
JA: When did the spots first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Yes, courses of antibiotics and then a dermatologist put me on roaccutane for 6 weeks in October last year.
JA: Got it. When was your last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: October
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: No. Im fit and healthy. Not on any medication.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear this has happened again, but it isn't uncommon that this would occur.

Generally speaking if you had to use Roaccutane last time, it is worth considering again. Often subsequent use can be much more effective and therefore I would request an appointment back with your dermatologist to consider using this rather than spending a few months trying the normal options.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do I have to go back to the same Dermatologist? He is very expensive.

Not at all, any dermatologist can do this. If you are doing this privately, ask your GP to arrange fasting bloods first as these would be required before being prescribed medication.

This is mainly to check your cholesterol. If you let your GP know you are going to see a dermatologist about Roaccutane and to have a fasting cholesterol, liver function and kidney function, then this would safe both time and money.