Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

I have been taking Finasteride 1mg daily since November 10th

Hi. I have been taking Finasteride 1mg daily since November 10th 2020. I have also been applying Minoxidil foam since the 1st of January 2021. Both for treatment of Male Pattern Baldness and hair loss. The thinning started when I was around 16. I am not convinced Finasteride is working too well along with Minoxidil but I heard their is a similar but more effective off-licence drug called Dutasteride. Also oral Minoxidil maybe more effective than the foam. Would changing to this medicine be recommended and how would I approach switching to this medicine ? And what dosages should I use first ?

Hi thanks for getting in touch. Dutasteride is an alternative that may have some additional benefit for you. Oral minoxidil is really for blood pressure, that's what it was made for first, the hair gain was a side effect. Some people's blood pressure got too low and they can faint or fall over etc. Hence the foam was made for direct application. You could ask your GP to consider dutasteride. You might also want to look into dermal rolling as well as there's growing evidence for that. I hope that helps, all the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thankyou for the reply. Yes I do use a derma roller. Do you know if it would be okay to switch straight to Dutaseride from Finatseride ? My GP is hard to get in touch with currently

Yes you can switch straight over absolutely, no wean off period is needed. Best of luck with it I think you have the right approach. If you could leave a positive review I'd be really grateful, all the best again :)