Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I suffer with guttate psoriasis and hidradenitis suppurativa

Hi I suffer with guttate psoriasis and hidradenitis suppurativa and am having a flare up of both currently. The nipple in my left breast is now hot and tender. Could this be part of this flare up or is this something new?
JA: When did psoriasis first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Psoriasis I have lived with for 40 years to a greater or lesser degree, it never goes completely
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about psoriasis?
Customer: yes and had many different topical treatments which are fine temporarily but it always comes back
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: no

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morning

I am very sorry to hear this. If the breast is hot and tender, my concern would be a secondary infection which can also trigger the psoriasis.

As you know the psoriasis flare up will often settle on its own, but it sounds like you should get someone to examine you to check for infection.

If the psoriasis continues to be an issue, have you tried light therapy for this? It has good results when widespread, just harder to come by as you would need particular dermatology departments to provide it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have also had light therapy. If the tenderness is a result of the hidradenitis flare up could that be the cause?

Okay thanks. Hidradenitis itself could cause aggravation, more due to irritation to the skin from sweating, therefore a fungal cause is a potential, but hot and warm areas may be more suggestive of a cellulitis.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The skin is not broken or irritated but the pain and tenderness is within the nipple - would you recommend antibiotics for this?