Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been itching mainly on my arms and now unfortunately

I have been itching mainly on my arms and now unfortunately on my legs for 3 months now. Cannot resist scratching and hence skin is broken and in some cases bleeding. It started under the skin and scratching did not help but made it worse. Now it is on the skin too where I get relief from scratching. Ice is the only thing that stops the itching. Driving me insane and now getting scars from it.
JA: When did the itchiness first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Just Derma cool cream but take antihistimines anyway - not helping
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about the itchiness?
Customer: no - went to doctor a few months ago and they gave me a prescription for this cream . They did blood tests but nothing came up
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: suffer from stress and taking prozac but have done for decades now. Drink too much wine

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Based on your description, your itching is likely related to nerve damage --small fiber neuropathy for example, can cause severe itching.

Diabetes, thyroid disorder, autoimmune disorder, vitamin B12 deficiency are some possible causes.

Dermatologist should be consulted with.

You can try Benadryl tablet 50 mg every 8 hours meanwhile to help.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what is Benadryl and how does it work?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
how does nerve damage happen - drinking too much wine???

Ys alcohol consumption can cause direct toxicity to nerves and damage them.

I also mentioned other causes above.

Benadryl works by preventing the release o inflammatory chemicals at the nerve endings and relieve itching.

Amitriptyline 50 mg at bedtime daily by prescription is another good option.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you will look into both those drugs. I am a vegan but take B12 supplements. I had this itch many years ago (not so bad) when I went through severe bereavement. I do think it may be stress related
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
vicious circle as wine relaxes me and then I don't scratch so much

Possible stress can cause flare ups.

You can also take Ginkgo biloba 400 mg daily for nerve health

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
helpful - thank you. Will defo try Ginkgo biloba and research the other medication. I wondered if I have ringworm or hives but like you think it is neruological

Unlikely rinworm or hives without obvious rash

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
someone mentioned valium instead of drinking wine but I think it is very addictive?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have a rash but mainly from scratching. However little tiny blisters have formed on skin in some places without me scratching
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ha Ha I think my time is up but just to say thank you for your help. Best regards Sally

Yes correct --you should avoid valium worse than alcohol.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you so much

I wish you the best.
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.
Please request me through following link:
www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
will do - thank you again.

welcome