Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

How do I treat toenail fungus and nail eczema from home

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. The best way would be to see your GP as they can prescribe anti-fungal therapy in tablet form for you. This is usually the strongest and most effective treatment but some people do get side effects and they can't be taken with certain medications. The other option is to use a nail anti-fungal laqueur or paint. It's basically like a clear nail varnish. It also works well but takes longer to fully treat the fungal infection, can be a few months. Both options work well however for what you have.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I heard soaking the nail in bleach and water is a fast solution
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there any truth to this

Not really, that isn't based on any evidence I'm afraid. What is however is to file the nails down before applying the nail paint. Seeing as you have several affected I would strongly consider the oral tablet from your GP.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Would vicsvaporub work

I have heard of that being used but seeing as we have scientifically custom-developed medication to target the fungus directly, I really don't see the point of using something that probably won't make anywhere near as much difference.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there any products I can use that don’t need a prescription

You can buy some of the nail paints directly from Boots actually. They're slightly weaker than prescription versions but they do work. It may be worth speaking to the pharmacist at Boots/

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
what are my options apart from oral medication

Your main option is an anti-fungal nail polish if you prefer to avoid oral medication. You can either get it on prescription or buy it from any pharmacy.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How many months will it take to work

It can take up to 6 months. Very rarely does it take longer. The nail is slow to treat due to the rate at which it grows but it will get better for sure.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
should I file down the nail and then apply the nail polish

yes, make sure you do that each time before applying it, it speeds up how quickly it gets better.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
should I do anything else

The main other consideration is hygiene. I've included a link for more information too:

https://patient.info/infections/fungal-infections/fungal-nail-infections-tinea-unguium

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
See that’s why I’m so surprised because I have good hygiene
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I wash my feet every day
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have really bad circulation and I heard that could be a cause
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is this true

Potentially yes. The way to look at it is if you didn't have such good hygiene they would be a lot worse. I think it'll respond well to the nail paint.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks shahid five star rating from me bro

You're too kind. Glad I could help. I'd be really grateful for a positive review. All the very best for the future :)