Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have acne scars on my upper back, several years ago, I

Hi I have acne scars on my upper back
JA: When did acne first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: several years ago, I only get spots there occasionally now but the scars remain. I havent tried any medication.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about acne?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: no

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear this. Do you still have active acne?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do a bit, I get roughly 1 spot every few weeks id say, the main thing is the scars from previous spots.
21M otherwise fit and healthy

Okay thanks, ***** ***** back is a difficult area to treat, as it is not easy to apply creams etc.

Therefore when there is back involvement, we tend to use oral antibiotics for this. An example of this is Lymecycline and it is used for 2-3 months at a time, then a few months break before trying it again. It tends to help break the cycle of acne and therefore hopefully reduces inflammatory lesions and scaring.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** tend to be in reachable places in the upper back and shoulder so I think a cream would be possible for me to apply.

Okay thanks, ***** ***** Benzoyl Peroxide at first as this will dry them out. If this doesn't help you can add in a retinoid cream. Both are available without prescriptions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** these treat the scars or just prevent the recurrences?

That is my pleasure, they can help both, more so the Retinoid.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thanks very much you've been very helpful have a nice day

Take care.