dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I started losing my moustache on the right lip all of a

Hi, I started losing my moustache on the right lip all of a sudden. Almost 1/4th of it is lost in a month’s time
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not yet, I am not in any medications
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am planning for a kid as soon as possible. So, the medications shouldn’t affect my fertility

Is it possible to forward a photograph?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sure, give me a second
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Here is the pic
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Another picture

Thank you for the pictures.

I apologize for the delay but I received an important phone call.

This appears to be consistent with alopecia areata. While this most commonly occurs on the face it can occur on places like the beard, moustache, eyebrow.

This is auto-immune which means the body is producing chemicals which are causing the hair follicles to be paralyzed. This does not mean they are dead or destroyed but asleep. Injections of cortisone are generally what we use to awaken the hair follicles. Topical medication such as Protopic ointment or a steroid cream will also help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s ok. Is there any solution to this? To bring the hair back and stop the fall?

You can start by using Hydrocortisone ointment twice a day which is over the counter. Rogaine which also is over the counter helps too.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where can I get these ointments? Do they need to be GP prescribed?

Those are both over the counter. Your GP would have to prescribe Protopic ointment.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Great. We are planning for a kid. Does these medications affect my fertility?

No, not at all.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Great. Thank you. Is it something serious to worry about or it can be brought back easily?

It nearly always comes back. Fortunately.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh, thank you. Happy to know that. It is really helpful

You are very welcome.