How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ravikumarr Your Own Question
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 124
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
ravikumarr is online now

Some years ago I was diagnosed with Pyoderma Gangrenosum.

Customer Question

Some years ago I was diagnosed with Pyoderma Gangrenosum. Since the ulcer I had at that time healed I have not been under the care of a dermatologist and over the last couple of years have had repeated problems with ulcers on my leg, each time following a small injury. These have been dressed by nurses at GP practice. I have also been referred to a local leg ulcer clinic, but they know nothing about PG and just want to pressure bandage my leg, which causes extreme pain. Now I want to be referred and have a call with my GP booked for Thursday to ask for a private referral, since I have a growing ulcer on my leg again. How can I find a dermatologist who is experienced in PG treatment??
JA: When did the ulcer first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: This one started at the beginning of March, following a scratch to my leg. I have had some antibiotics (swabs are negative for infection) and have just been prescribed Clobetasone 0.05% cream for the nurses to use (they are putting round the edge of the wound). They are currently dressing it using Cutimed Sorbact dressing pads under Biatain (?) dressing, twice a week.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides Clobetasol for this?
Customer: The nurses have tried iodine, silver and various other dressings but not been prescribed anything else. The GP has never seen it.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Not sure what's relevant....I'm overweight but not diabetic.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I really want to find out how I can identify a good dermatologist to help me with my problem.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I live near Hitchin, in North Hertfordshire, so would prefer someone local if possible.
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Ravindran and will be happy to help.I am sorry to hear about your concern. I will try my best to give you suggestions that help your concern. The answer does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic. Kindly be  informed that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site ,NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me. I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.NOTE - phone call requests are auto-generated. Please ignore these requests if you have not requested.

Expert:  ravikumarr replied 17 days ago.

I don't live near your. The usual treatment for pyoderma gangrenosum is steroids. It does not fully heal unfortunately. It is a chronic disorder.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What I want to know is how I can find a dermatologist to treat me so that I can get a referral to her/him. Is there a list or organisation where I can find someone?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you able to tell me that?
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 17 days ago.

It has to be the gp who refers.  If the gp is  not helpful then you can try privately.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
but how do i find a person to be referred to, who know about PG? Is there a list somewhere?
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 16 days ago.

Firsty it needs to be confirmed as a pyoderma gangrenosum and a biopsy is usually done.

Expert:  ravikumarr replied 16 days ago.

And nhs dermatologist will be able to help

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was diagnosed years ago and a biopsy was done. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 15 days ago.