ravikumarr
ravikumarr,
Experience:  Expert
111548138

Some years ago I was diagnosed with Pyoderma Gangrenosum.

Customer Question

Some years ago I was diagnosed with Pyoderma Gangrenosum. Since the ulcer I had at that time healed I have not been under the care of a dermatologist and over the last couple of years have had repeated problems with ulcers on my leg, each time following a small injury. These have been dressed by nurses at GP practice. I have also been referred to a local leg ulcer clinic, but they know nothing about PG and just want to pressure bandage my leg, which causes extreme pain. Now I want to be referred and have a call with my GP booked for Thursday to ask for a private referral, since I have a growing ulcer on my leg again. How can I find a dermatologist who is experienced in PG treatment??
JA: When did the ulcer first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: This one started at the beginning of March, following a scratch to my leg. I have had some antibiotics (swabs are negative for infection) and have just been prescribed Clobetasone 0.05% cream for the nurses to use (they are putting round the edge of the wound). They are currently dressing it using Cutimed Sorbact dressing pads under Biatain (?) dressing, twice a week.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides Clobetasol for this?
Customer: The nurses have tried iodine, silver and various other dressings but not been prescribed anything else. The GP has never seen it.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Not sure what's relevant....I'm overweight but not diabetic.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I really want to find out how I can identify a good dermatologist to help me with my problem.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I live near Hitchin, in North Hertfordshire, so would prefer someone local if possible.
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Ravindran and will be happy to help.I am sorry to hear about your concern. I will try my best to give you suggestions that help your concern. The answer does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic. Kindly be  informed that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site ,NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me. I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.NOTE - phone call requests are auto-generated. Please ignore these requests if you have not requested.

I don't live near your. The usual treatment for pyoderma gangrenosum is steroids. It does not fully heal unfortunately. It is a chronic disorder.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What I want to know is how I can find a dermatologist to treat me so that I can get a referral to her/him. Is there a list or organisation where I can find someone?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you able to tell me that?

It has to be the gp who refers.  If the gp is  not helpful then you can try privately.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
but how do i find a person to be referred to, who know about PG? Is there a list somewhere?
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 16 days ago.

Firsty it needs to be confirmed as a pyoderma gangrenosum and a biopsy is usually done.

And nhs dermatologist will be able to help

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was diagnosed years ago and a biopsy was done. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 15 days ago.

Welcome.