Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I have a small black/grey spot that I have had for a number

Customer Question

I have a small black/grey spot that I have had for a number of years. I've squeezed it a few times before and manged to get worm out of it which made me assume its a blackhead. Sometimes I can't always get this out when I see its back in there. It does get sore and grazed where I keep prodding it now and again. I just wanted to confirm if this is actually a blackhead and not something else.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No pain
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please send a pic.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Unfortunately I did try to squeeze it out a few days ago so it does look a bit different but I'll try to find before
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No phone call please
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Did you get my pictures

Thank you, ***** ***** reviewed your pics. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok

This looks like a sebaceous cyst.

A sebaceous cyst is a cyst formed in a gland of the skin called the sebaceous gland. It is also a benign condition.
If it becomes too large, itmay need excision for cosmetic purposes. Excision is a minor operation and done in the doctor's clinic itself usually, it does not require admission.

You should not poke it yourself, it has become injured now and there is an abrasion.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thabk you, it looks lie it's inside a little whole when it is left alone, does that sound right? I'm just getting very anxious about it as I've been googling what it can be and wanted to rule out the sign of skin cancer.

Yes, sebaceous cysts have a tiny hole, thats the opening of the duct. Its not skin cancer at all. But your constant poking might cause serious infections.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** picture clear enough? Is it common on the breast? I have been panicking a bout it so I had to speak to somebody, very long wait to see my doctor. I won't squeeze it now I know its not a blackhead.

Yes the picture is clear enough.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you very much for letting me know. Sorry about the worry.