Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I had a freckle on my abdominal wall which has been replaced

Customer Question

Hi. I had a freckle on my abdominal wall which has been replaced with a red inflamed mole. Edges are not well defined I am worried. Its painless and has been there for months
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Mole transformation. ?melanoma
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no. Worried about amelanotic melanoma
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please share a pic

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This is now
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This was february as you can see there was a freckle where the lesion is

Thank you, ***** ***** reviewed your pics. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have been to the gp twice they thought it was a dermatofibroma. I had tried 1% hydrocortisone and they prescribed 0.18% clobetasone and there has been no difference. The faint pink rim is sometimes larger and touches the other freckle but then regresses.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have been referred to derm but the waiting times are ridiculous
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I think this needs a biopsy. I am consultant in the nhs but i cant get hold of a derm appt any quicker then end of july

I do not feel this is a cause for worry as such.

There are no worrisome signs in this.

As you know, you have to observe for signs in a mole which are defined by the acronym ABCDE.

A is for Asymmetry: One half of a mole or birthmark does not match the other - yours is symmetrical.
B is for Border: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched, or blurred - your borders are smooth. ALthough they are ill defined this is not a criteria
C is for Color: The color is not the same all over and may include different shades of brown or black, or sometimes with patches of pink, red, white, or blue - cplor is uniform in this mole.
D is for Diameter: The spot is larger than 6 millimeters across (about ¼ inch – the size of a pencil eraser), although melanomas can sometimes be smaller than this - it is less than 6 mm.
E is for Evolving: The mole is changing in size, shape, or color - it is not changing as far as we know. Although there was the initial development of the mole from the freckle, since then it has not been changing as per your observation.

Hence I do not think you need to worry about this.

You can wait safely for your derma appointment.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
As far as i know the abcde does not apply to amelanotic lesions.
There has been a change as that red mole used to be a freckle

This does not look like a amelanotic melanoma because those are usually bulging from the surface, yours is flat or has a very minimal bulge.

It looks more like a mole. Another possibility is a red mole or cherry angioma.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thanks. It is raised - 2mm or so it is a nodule in the dermis thats how i noticed it but it came up overnight which wouldnt fit w anything nasty.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for the advice