GauravMD
GauravMD, Dr
Experience:  MBBS, DCH, DNB (MD), with special interest in Dermatology
239748

I am looking for some advice on how to manage cystic acne

Customer Question

I am looking for some advice on how to manage cystic acne around my chin and jawline I have been struggling with
JA: When did acne first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: About 6 months ago it started to become worse. I have tried differin gel and have completed a course of Tetralysal
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about acne?
Customer: No I haven't seen a dermatologist yet, just spoken to GP
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: No I don't believe so.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  GauravMD replied 14 days ago.

I’m Dr. Gupta. I’m a board-certified physician with over 20 years of experience and I will be assisting you today.
I can certainly appreciate your concern,
Give me a few minutes to respond. The website may generate an automatic call request, you can accept this OR choose to ignore it

Expert:  GauravMD replied 13 days ago.

Due to the severity of cystic acne, over-the-counter (OTC) treatments for acne aren’t strong enough. This means you’ll need to see a dermatologist for prescription medications. Depending on the type of treatment used, you may not see full results for up to eight weeks.

Talk to your doctor about the following methods used to treat cystic acne. Some cases require combination therapies.

Isotretinoin

Oral antibiotics

Topical retinoids

Spironolactone

Oral contraceptives

These medicines may be used in combination if there is no response to one of them,

You can read more here

https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/cystic-acne
Warm regards