Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Experience:  MBBS MS
5625079

My Daughter had a big amount of swelling round her face -

My Daughter had a big amount of swelling round her face - she ended up in hospital with septicemia. Was given antibiotics. We think its was makeup as she bought a load of cheap makeup - applied it - didnt take it off. So we waited a year before allowing her to put makeup on and it happened again. Could septicemia be caused by makeup? Would it be best to get an allergy test?
JA: When did the swelling first appear? Has your daughter used any medication for this?
Customer: On her chin, then went down her neck. She was given intravenous antibiotics for 5 days.
JA: Got it. Has she seen a dermatologist about the swelling?
Customer: No - she was only 11 at the time and we allowed her to have some 'fun' with makeup. we only use the same hair shampoo and sun screen as we are scarred of it happening again- she is now 13 and wanting to wear makeup. Seems unfair to say no! So we are now starting to think what direction to go in.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: no

Make-up has a low chance of causing septicemia. Though two incidences do warrant looking for a mechanism that may have caused it. The possibility is that perhaps the makeup has eroded the skin and then the bacteria accessed the bloodstream. Having said that, it is essential that she get the following;

1) Allergy tests.

2) Chest x-ray.

3) Echocardiography.

4) An ultrasound of the abdomen.

These investigations and medical imaging will scan all the vital organs. Any abnormality in vital organs can also predispose to recurrent septicemia.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.