Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

Second opinion] I’ve been struggling with comedonal acne for

Customer Question

second opinion] Hi there, I’ve been struggling with comedonal acne for a long time now and i’ve been prescribed Epiduo which was going well but now my skin is breaking out a lot and doesn’t seem to be doing much and I’m not sure of what products I should use on my skin.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: for a couple years and my skin has just been a lot more oily and breaking out constantly
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Kruti , I am a specialist in the field and I will be happy to help.

I am sorry to hear about your concern and I would try my best to allay your worries.

I will be glad to assist you today and will try my best to give you an answer that is helpful.

The answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I would like to inform that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site , I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:-

Usually skin conditions are best diagnosed if its possible to see them , so it gives me a clearer picture of what the problem is. Hence I would like to request you to please send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

Please send a picture in jpeg/jpg or png format. You can send it as an attachment here, using the paper clip sign on the toolbar , just above the space where we are typing or using the add files next to the send button. Or alternatively you can upload them on google photos and send me the link.

In case, its not possible for you to send a picture, I can understand, please do let me know. I will surely try to still help you out.

Thanks. Regards

Dr. Kruti

Expert:  Dermadoc replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience.

It does look like acne.

I would recommend the following measures for the treatment:-

Treatment of acne would be  creams and daily skin care routine which further helps in acne.

Creams would be :-

Application of benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel once a day in the morning on the Pimples.

Application of Differin gel on full face at night for 2 hrs. start with it for 2 hours and then gradually increase the time interval to keep it overnight.

All the applications will have to be done for 6 weeks.
All these creams are over the counter.

you need to follow a routine of cleansing, sunscreen , creams daily.

cleanse your face with cetaphil cleansing lotion for acne prone skin twice daily.

Facewash has to be thrice a day. Once in the morning. Once at night. Once in the evening.

Moisturizing with a light moisturizer will be better for u. neutrogena oil free moisturizer is a good option.

sunscreen needs to be used daily , neutrogena would be a good choice.

A sun screen when once applied lasts for only 4 hrs. Hence it has to be repeated. You need to apply it atleast thrice a day.

In case the above measures do not help, then you would require Oral medication, which  will be either oral antibiotics or  Isotretinoin. But it will require a prescription from your doctor. Hence whenever that is possible, that would be the ideal treatment. But in the current situation, it may not be easy to get an appointment.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Take care