Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I've had a mole on my tummy for always really but recently

Hello I've had a mole on my tummy for always really but recently it started to become itchy and slightly different in colour and size
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Not really it's not always itchy just maybe if the skin is dry or maybe recently due to sweat but I'm not really sure.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have quite a lot of other brown spots on my tummy which could be age spots and this mole, although brown colour, is starting to behave a bit like those in terms of shape. There's some slight scabbing on top of the mole. I have another spot on my tummy which looks strange too.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Can you share a pic?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I can try but it's not very sharp.

A good quality pic is essential.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I appreciate that but my camera won't focus so close up.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I'm trying to upload I have taken a pic
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry are you there

Thank you, ***** ***** reviewed your pic. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

This is nothing to get worried about.

Your mole is not a risk.

You have to observe for signs in a mole which are defined by the acronym ABCDE.

A is for Asymmetry: One half of a mole or birthmark does not match the other - yours is symmetrical.
B is for Border: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched, or blurred - your borders are smooth.
C is for Color: The color is not the same all over and may include different shades of brown or black, or sometimes with patches of pink, red, white, or blue - cplor is uniform in this mole.
D is for Diameter: The spot is larger than 6 millimeters across (about ¼ inch – the size of a pencil eraser), although melanomas can sometimes be smaller than this - it is less than 6 mm.
E is for Evolving: The mole is changing in size, shape, or color - as you have noted the mole appears to be changing. This is the only criteria that requires observation.

Your mole is quite safe. You should keep it under observation though. But dont get obsessed about it, moles are very common as you have probably observed and only very rarely do they pose a risk.

You can also show this to your doctor at your next appointment for your reassurance.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for your response doctor. So that it got itchy and with a scab is OK for now? Regarding Evolving to me it seems to have grown and a slightly paler shade. I presume you looked at the brownest mole on my pic.

Yes I looked at the brownest one.

The scab is because you scratched it. Avoid scratching it further and just keep it under observation, that will be sufficient.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Just one last question, then I will finish. I seem to have many of those marks around my whole tummy which you can see around this mole. Also a lot on my breasts. Are these age spots? There's one which is bumpy and slightly fluid filled sometimes turns pink. Is there any treatment for these to reduce in size?

Yes they are age spots. This can be treated with lasers, microdermaabrasion, etc. You should consult a dermatologist for this.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I see. Thank you. Best wishes.