Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I keep having break out on my neck and chest. For a few

I keep having break out on my neck and chest.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: For a few months now. It comes and goes. No numbness or tingling
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I've been on antibiotics and steriod creams but it keeps coming back
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (VQ1MM46)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (V17V7SQ)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (MS3T15T)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (M33P5GQ)

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

The most common causes of such recurrent rashes are:

Atopic dermatitis: this is a type of eczema. It consists of an itchy red rash which can be found anywhere in the body. Cause is usually due to an allergen which is recurrent in the environment. But often no such cause can be found.

Scabies: scabies is due to infestation by mites. You need antiscabies treatment for this.

Granuloma annulare: this causes recurrent bumps which are often in a ring formation, cause is unknown.

Lichen planus: this gives rise to itchy purple or reddish coloured flat bumps, cause is believed to be immunological.

Psoriasis: gives rise to itchy red rash associated with silvery scale like patches. cause is believed to be immunological.

For you the most likely is Atopic dermatitis. This is often provoked by exposure to some allergen. You need to pay careful attention to your environment to see if you can find out any allergen which could be the cause.

Insect bites are a possibility. Mosquite, horsefly, ticks, midge or gnats, fireants, chiggers, etc can cause such reactions. It could also be related to certain medicines, foods, suppments, etc. Check out whether there is any medication associated with the rash. . Also try to recall any associated foods, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc before these recurrences. You could be having a food allergy. You should also watch out for any soaps or detergents. Also try to recall any activities associated with this, like hiking to some place, cleaning the house or some area of the house, some hobby like wood working etc which coincide with the rashes.

If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, then you have to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, do not worry if this is so. Most of the time, cause for Atopic dermatitis is not detected.

You should take an antihistaminic like Cap. Claritin (OTC) one capsule daily. Also apply 1% Hydrocortisone ointment. This will get rid of the rash.

However, if the rashes keep recurring, you should see a doctor. Other causes like scabies may be implicated.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I've seen a doctor and they believe it's folliculitis. I've had blood tests to check my hormone profile (results were normal). I work as a cleaner and I'm worried it could be causing the issue. It seems to get worse as I sweat. I read up on folliculitis and it says it clears up on its own. But mine has only cleared up with topical steriod cream. But soon returns once I stop using the cream. None of the washes that I've been prescribed seem to help. Could it be an allergy to the cleaning products I use? I haven't changed any beauty products or washing powder. I also avoid apply perfume to my neck now.

Folliculitis would not be cleared off with steroid ointments.

You should show a dermatologist for this.

For folliculitis you would need prescription ointments like Bactroban, you should discuss this with your doctor.

Also try to find out if you do have allergy to any substance.