ravikumarr
ravikumarr,
Experience:  Expert
111548138

I need help on my skin, i had chemotherapy and bone marrow

Customer Question

i need help on my skin
JA: The Dermatologist can help. To begin, what are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: i had chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant from my brother we were a match. but his cells have gone in my body and saw it as foreign and it has atttacked my healthy cells which is known as graft versus host disease. the doctor put me on ciclosporin which darkened my skin alot. i have now come of it its been 6 months since i stopped the drug. im really upser as my skin has become darker and hyperpigmented. my doctor says two things may have caused it to be darker the ciclosporin or graft versus host disease but he says if its medication it will go back to normal if its graft versus host disease it wont im on ruxolitnib which is jakafi which is meant to stop the gvhd cells atacking healthy cells but my question is will my skin go back to normal taking this medication
JA: Thanks for that. Have you used anything besides this medication for this?
Customer: yes methylpredisone 2mg pencillin and ascilovor
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,  will be happy to help.I am sorry to hear about your concern. I will try my best to give you suggestions that help your concern. The answer does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic. Kindly be  informed that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site ,NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me. I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.NOTE - phone call requests are auto-generated. Please ignore these requests if you have not requested.

I am a general physician. can you send a picture please. is the discoloration localized or generalized?

ciclosporin usually causes ash colored skin.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does it go back to normal and how long after stopping The drug
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 14 days ago.

it may take  Several months

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you think glutathione might work to lighten my skin through iv in a year time. I’ve stopped ciclosporin 6 months ago
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 13 days ago.

It is a rare side effect.I am not sure about glutathione but  It acts on the  melanosites and helps lighten the is lighten the skin color. since you have stopped the sithe cyclosporine 6 months ago, Your skin must start to lighten up.

Can you send a picture of your skin color please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But say if the graft versus host disease and ciclosporin darken my skin can that be reversed with ciclosporin
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I mean can the darkness be reversed by gluthathione iv
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm now on a medication called jakafi ruxolitinib which is not immunosuppressant but blocks the graft versus host disease in my body it has immunosuppressive effects
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm also on pencillin and ascilvor
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I also was on extracorporeal photospheris treatment which uses uv does that darken skin i stopped this 2 months ago
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 12 days ago.

There are a lot of factors in your case which can cause the skin to darken. If the skin discoloration is due to the medication then after stopping the medication the skin Discoloration should improve. Regarding the time frame for the improvement of skin discoloration after talking to medication,  It is quite valuable and difficult to tell the exact time. Usually the  Skin discoloration should improve by 6 to 12 months

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you think that extracorporeal photopheresis would of also darkened my skin i was on it for 14 months and ciclosporin too.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Does methylprednisolone darken skin im on 2mg and been on it for 2 years? And pencillin and ascilvor. But what if its graft versus host disease that darkened my skin can that be reversed by gluthathione is gluthathione good through iv and effective?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just stopped extracorporeal photopheresis 2 months ago
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The only meds I take now is ruxolitinib known as jakafi and pencillin and ascilvor
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
methylprednisolone 2mg which I will be stopping soon hopefully
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 11 days ago.

methylmprednisolone does not darken the skin

extracorporeal photopheresis is not associated with skin pigmentation

why can't you send a picture of the skin pigmentation

please

it would be very helpful

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (L3255G3)

thanks for forwardingthe image.may I know your age please

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
28 I had bone marrow transplant at 26
Expert:  ravikumarr replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for the images. Have you spoken with anyone about using glutathione ? I don't have any experience with that. It's better if you consult with the demotologist the mythologist or your consultant before going to take it. It is produced from the liver and is good for a tissue building and for the immune system. But taking it without without proper plan can also potentially cause damage to your organs particularly liveregularly Liverpool stop so this has to be borne in mind