Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I have suffered severe burns due to laser treatment and

Customer Question

Hi there, I have suffered severe burns due to laser treatment and really conscient of the healing process and scarring. I would like to have a advise on the proper treatment.
JA: When did the burn first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I made the treatment on the 2nd and the burn occurred the same day. I have been trying to book an appointment with GP, however, they seem quite useless :( The clinic told me to wait 2 week and would heal and back to normal. But i dont belive that is the case
JA: The Dermatologist will be able to answer that. Have you seen a dermatologist about the burn?
Customer: Not yet, and that is what I will be doing, just not sure where No medication
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: In the burn area, I have a scar from surgery. nothing else relevant, no medical conditions
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

The burn will heal normally. Laser burns are the same as any other burns.

But the main thing is to prevent scarring. This is the goal of treatment.

The steps to take to prevent scarring are:

If the wound is 'wet' and not healed yet, you have to do regular dressing.

Wash with clean cold tap water and soap. Rinse thoroughly.
Apply a lot of ice to it. This is the best - will cool down the pain and also reduce inflammation.
Apply ointment Silver Sulfadiazine (Sliverex, Silvadene) OTC on the site for four to five days till it heals.
Apply a sterile semi permeable bandage - available OTC at the pharmacy - over the wound, change it daily, to avoid rubbing by clothes.
Once the wound is dry, you have to take steps to prevent scarring.

Apply Vaseline ointment over the wound.

Stretch the wound gently every day, at least twice a day. This will prevent contracture.

Silicone pads - these are to be applied tightly over the area, you can also get them OTC at the pharmacist.

Apply sunscreen or cover with clothes whenever going out, it is important to prevent sun exposure.

These steps will minimize scarring.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti