Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

My 14 year old son is really struggling with his acne at the

Hi Pearl, my 14 year old son is really struggling with his acne at the moment. It's developed gradually over the last year and I know it's getting him down. We tried Acnicide gel and wash at first but have recently resorted to something stronger prescribed - Duac, once only gel from our GP. He's been using it for nearly 3 weeks now and I can't say I've noticed much improvement. Is it worth sticking with it for longer, or should I go and see a dermatologist now so that I know that he is getting the best treatment for his specific skin issues? Appreciate your guidance here. With thanks, Laura
JA: When did acne first appear? Has your son used any medication for this?
Customer: About a year ago. Like I say, we used Acnicide from Boots initially, both the cream and wash. Now he's on the Duac once only gel and has been for nearly 3 weeks.
JA: The Dermatologist will be able to answer that. When was his last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: He's never been to a dermatologist. Due to Covid, I've only spoken to a GP over the telephone, who then prescribed Duac once only gel.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of, no.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

There are a number of steps that you can take to combat your acne.

You should try first with OTC topical ointments. There are two main types of anti acne ointments which are both very effective:

Retinoids – Differin gel (OTC) is one of the most useful ointments for this. Higher strength ointments are available on prescription.
BenzoylPeroxide: Benzoyl peroxide dries up the skin and reduces oil thereby helping in curing.

These are OTC ointments available at pharmacies and you can use them on your own. They will help to cure the acne.

Since he has used Duac gel, which is benzoyl peroxide, you can try with the Retinoid now.

If the acne persists after this, you need to show a doctor, preferably a dermatologist. A doctor will be able to prescribe other stronger medicines: Higher strength Retinoid ointments, Antibiotic topical ointments, Oral antibiotics, Accutane, Steroids, etc.

But first, you can try OTC treatment with ointments as I suggested.

You should also follow a good skin care regime. At night, first clean your face with soap and water. Apply an astringent. Then apply the acne medicine. Lastly apply a moisturizer gently. Follow this every night. This will help you greatly.

Avoiding the sun is most important. Wear a wide brimmed hat or a cap with a peak when going out in the sun. Using suncream with above 50% SPF is a must. This helps greatly.

This OTC regime should be sufficient, but if the acne persists, you need to show a Dermatologist.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your advice Dr. Jyoti. Due to the fact that my son has only been applying Duac for 3 weeks, would you advise me just to carry on with this treatment for at least another 8 weeks? The directions on the medicine leaflet state that it may take 2-3 months to work. I'm nervous about potentially starting him on another OTC topical ointment , when he's only been taking Duac for 3 weeks. Do I need to be patient here? Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Laura

Yes you should try out the Duac till at least 6 weeks. It is the most commonly prescribed treatment for acne and is quite helpful.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. It is very much appreciated.

Glad to help.

Wish him best of health and a quick recovery.
Do send me feedback by giving a 5 star rating or 'accepting' my answer; bonus is always welcome